Moderator Control Panel ]

Otherwise and Formerly on Birth Cert (Mother)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Otherwise and Formerly on Birth Cert (Mother)

Postby Ralphy101 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi Everyone

I hope somebody can help me.

I have a copy of a birth certificate for a chap born X "SMITH" in bedford 1949.

The father column is Blank in that there are no details - i am assuming this is because the parents were not married - would i be correct in thinking this?

The real conundrum is that although the mother is presenting herself as SMITH it reads as

SMITH otherwise TRANTER formerly JONES.

I have traced through the electoral register and have found the mother listed as SMITH along with a Mr X Smith under the same address given on this chaps birth cert. However i have not been able to find any form of evidence these two "SMITH"s were married.

I am trying to trace the mother ( as i have made gains with the father) - so should i be searching for a woman born JONES then marrying a TRANTER or a woman born TRANTER marrying a JONES?

I hope ive made sense ! :)
Ralphy101

Re: Otherwise and Formerly on Birth Cert (Mother)

Postby Ralphy101 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:50 pm

Just to add

i have also found two registrations on the GRO index for this chap.

one being SMITH - and one being TRANTER - both presenting the same index and volume numbers so its the same chap.

It is stating the mothers name is JONES. should i believe it?
Ralphy101

Postby AntonyM » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:40 pm

Ralphy101 wrote:The father column is Blank in that there are no details - i am assuming this is because the parents were not married - would i be correct in thinking this?

Yes - when a child is born to unmarried parents, the father can only be shown on the register entry if he attends to sign the register with the mother as a joint informant (still applies today).

Ralphy101 wrote:i have also found two registrations on the GRO index for this chap.

You have one entry in the register that has been indexed twice.

There is no surname shown for the child on a birth registration until 1969, so the entry is indexed in the name of the parents - in this case, the mother is saying she is currently using two names SMITH and TRANTER so it is indexed under both.

The "formerly JONES" means that she is married (or has been at some stage). Assuming all the information given is correct, you should be looking for a marriage of a female JONES to a TRANTER.

If she had been married to Mr SMITH (or claimed to be) then she could have had his name shown as the father on the register entry and her name would have been shown as "SMITH late TRANTER formerly JONES".
AntonyM

Postby Ralphy101 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:32 pm

Thank you so much for you help!
Ralphy101

Return to General research queries