Moderator Control Panel ]

Missing Birth for James Waggoner (aka James Ashburner)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby Beverley Stephens » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:08 pm

In 1871 James Waggoner was living with his father William, a Wood Turner; his mother Ann and siblings in Bethnal Green, London. James was 14, therefore born c1857 in Bethnal Green. He was still living with his parents in 1881, 24 years old and is now a Boot Finisher. His father William is still a Wood Turner. So far, their entry in the 1861 census has eluded me.

James married Elizabeth Maddams (nee Avent) on 29 Oct 1883 at St Thomas, Bethnal Green. He is a bachelor, still a Boot Finisher and she’s a widow. The strange thing is, on the Marriage Register his name is James Ashburner and his father is William Ashburner, a Wood Turner.

The couple had a daughter, Ethel, on 04 Jul 1884. She is named Ethel Ashburner on her Birth Cert.; her father is shown as James Ashburner, Boot Finisher. Ethel died 28 Aug 1885, the Death Cert. shows her as Ashburner.

There are no census entries or any other references to Ashburner for this family.

A bit of background. On 04 Jan 1880, Elizabeth had a son Alfred George Maddams, named after his father who passed away a month later. After her first husband’s death Elizabeth was a live-in servant and her baby son lived with her half-sister on the night of the 1881 census.

In 1891 Elizabeth, James – a Boot Finisher and Alfred were living together in the name of Waggoner. James enrolled Alfred in the local school, in the name of Alfred George Waggoner. Incidentally when Alfred married in 1903 he re-verted back to Maddams.

Elizabeth’s fathers 1904 Death Cert. shows that he was living at the same address that Alfred George Maddams gave on his Marriage Cert 4 months earlier. The Informant is Eliz. Waggoner, Daughter.

In 1901 & 1911 James and Elizabeth were living alone in Bethnal Green. Their name on 1895 – 1939 Electoral Registers is sometimes Waggoner and other times Woggoner. Both their Death Certificates and Cemetery Burial Registers are in the name of Woggoner.

I am definite that despite the different names James Waggoner/Woggoner and James Ashburner is the same person. I thought that perhaps Ashburner was his mother’s maiden name, but why would his father’s name be this on the Marriage Register? If I can find a birth for James this might answer this question. Can anyone help me trace his birth in either name please? Or perhaps offer some kind of explanation for the name change.

Sorry about all the detail but you now know everything that I do. Thanks for your help.
Beverley Stephens

Postby brunes08 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:38 pm

I do not know if this will be of help, but here goes. My 2xgt grandfather went through life using two different surnames. He was illegitimate and when about 5 years old, his mother married and had more children. He used either his mother's surname or his step-father's on different census returns and on his two marriage registrations and his children's birth registrations. Tricky to fathom out until I realised what was happening.

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
brunes08

Re: Missing Birth for James Waggoner (aka James Ashburner)

Postby ianbee » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:52 pm

Has a 16 year old sister in 1871, there is this birth
June 1855 Bethnal Green 1c 253
Ashburner, Theresa
mother's maiden surname Blackborough
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:31 pm

Samuel John Ashburner married Ann Blackborough in 1841 at St Mary Islington.
Is he the chap who died in Bethnal Green in March qtr 1864, age 43?
Have you found a marriage for William Waggoner and Ann? FreeBMD doesn't have any marriage for a William Waggoner, or even Woggoner (ever!)
ianbee

Postby elsabels » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:31 pm

Following on from ianbee:

Samuel & Ann are together on the 1851 census!
1851 HO107; Piece: 1502; Folio: 379; Page: 58;

There is a removal order dated 1848 indicating that Ann Blackborough married Samuel J Ashburner Islington 8 Nov 1841
Ann Blackborough Age: 26
Birth Year: abt 1822
Record Type: Examinations
Event Date: 31 Aug 1848
Poor Law Union or Parish: Bethnal Green
Residence: Bethnal Green
Reference Number: BEBG/267/006
( marriage is on line at ancestry)

There is also a Samuel J Ashburner died 1864
elsabels

Postby Beverley Stephens » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:46 am

Thank you, guys. Your contributions have enabled me to smash through a brick wall.

Whilst I haven’t actually found a birth for James, I now know that his mother Ann Blackborough – thank you ianbee – had married Samuel John Ashburner but was deserted by him on at least two occasions, later lived with William Waggoner and had several more children, one of which was James.

I can’t find a marriage for Ann and William but as she was still married to Samuel Ashburner until his death in 1864 I doubt they bothered.

James was illegitimate, hence using his father’s name and his mother’s married name.

The Ann living with Samuel Ashburner on the 1851 census is Ann Davis, I hope he treated her better than he did Ann Blackborough!
Beverley Stephens

Return to General research queries