Moderator Control Panel ]

1939 Register query

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

1939 Register query

Postby Chris Verrill » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:56 pm

Can anyone help me with this query I have on the 1939 register I am accessing through Ancestry please?

I have found records for my husbands grandfather in Birmingham who died in Nov 1985 - the record shows his wife (also deceased), eldest son born in 1934 and died in 2003. This all seems OK but two records are officially closed but I don't know who they would be as my father in law - the next child born in 1938 also died in Aug 1985 and would have been about 11 months old in 1939 so why is he not shown? The next child was born after 1939 so would not appear yet.

Any ideas how I can get to the bottom of this?
Chris Verrill

Re: 1939 Register query

Postby phsvm » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Although your father in law is deceased he would, if still alive, be under 100 years old. Records are redacted until the individual would have reached 100 or if evidence can be produced to show the individual is deceased. It is possible to get a redacted record opened by submitting a death certificate.

The copy of the Register on Ancestry is an earlier release than the one of FMP so you may find that one of both of the redacted entries are now visible.
phsvm

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:23 am

... and Ancestry will only open records about once a year, from what I can see. Even then, the opening has to be done via TNA or FindMyPast as Ancestry don't have the unredacted images but need to wait for them from TNA / FMP.

As far as not being opened goes, if the original death was not notified to NHS Central, then FMP have put procedures in place to use the data from the death certificate indexes to identify those who can be opened. However, if there is any debate - eg 2 people with the same name and date of birth, the software dare not open either.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:28 am

Oh and as for the 2nd redacted entry. You probably can't do anything about it as you can only open something if you know who they are.

Could it be an evacuee?

Also, I'd suggest double checking with the mother's maiden name in the birth indexes to ensure that there wasn't another very short lived child that sadness has hidden from memory.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby phsvm » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:05 am

I also worth considering where in the household the two redacted entries are. On the left are the numbers within the household. As a rule of thumb 1. will be the head of the house 2. the spouse 3. children in order of age and so on.

So if the redacted entries are numbers 4 and 5 in the household then you can work on the basis that they are probably your father in law and another young individual or your father in law and a visitor (who would come last in the same way they do on census returns) who would, if still alive, be under the age of 100.

If however, one of the redacted entries was say number 4 you could assume that this entry was a family member who was between the oldest son and your father in law in age but who, if still alive was under the age of 100. Perhaps an unlikely scenario in your case but as anyone who has done any famiy reserach will know the unexpected does happen.

In my searches I've found quite a few extended family members living with families. You could try and see if you can trace cousins of your father in law on the register and if any are missing think if it could be them.
phsvm

Postby Chris Verrill » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:40 am

Many thanks for the responses - Its given me a few more options
Chris Verrill

Postby woodchal » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Just to say that redaction is not an exact science. We have an uncle who was 3 in 1939 (correct birth date etc) and is not redacted and is very much alive! We haven't told him that some people think he is dead!
woodchal

Postby brunes08 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:53 pm

Just a thought. As the war had not long been declared, might the family have taken your father-in-law to relatives away from the anticipated dangers of living in Birmingham. I have family who did just that in both the wars.

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
brunes08

Return to General research queries