Moderator Control Panel ]

Finally broke my "Brick Wall"

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Finally broke my "Brick Wall"

Postby Jethro Tull » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:42 pm

Hello all,

Just wanted to share my joy at solving a problem that I have been working on since starting my tree about 8 years ago and one that I know other family memebers have been working on for 30 years +! Also to encourage others to keep looking and not give up, explore every possible lead.

My story is involving my Great Great Nan. I could not find her anywhere before her marriage in 1891, her name was Nellie Beatrice Wood (nee Ling). Over the years I had founds lots of evidence pointing to the fact she changed her name from Ellen Burdett Ling and suggestions from the forum here alluded to the same, I had suspicions of who the family were but no proof it was my family. There was plenty of name changing and half brothers and sisters to sort through! I started working on a side tree of the Ling family as a seperate project to see if i could ever find a link, through this I have had people contact me from as far away as Canada (and one of Canadas oldest women). Still no proof to link the Ling family to mine, plenty of possible evidence but nothing solid. New leads cropped up every now and then but nothing I could say satisfied my desire for a link. Then last night I was sent a link by someone investigating the Ling family for a chap who was K.I.A in WW1, in the records for "Register of Soldiers Effects". There in the list of people who the money was being left to was a long list of all the full brothers and sisters and half brothers and sisters I had in my Ling tree and at the top of the list was "Nellie Wood, Half sister"! Finally Nellie Wood on the same page as the Ling family! This is the final bit i needed to convince me I had the right family. To say I'm happy is an understatement. No longer does this line of my original tree go back no further than Nellie in 1891, I now have a whole to family to investigate fully!

Bit of a ramble I know and hope it all makes sense, but I just wanted to share this for others to see that the clues and hints can come from the most unexpected places and it can take some time too! Just need to persevere.

Cheers

Dan.
Jethro Tull

Re: Finally broke my "Brick Wall"

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Excellent Dan.

When you mentioned Canada, I was reminded of the Canadian WW1 Army files that are going up on line. These appear to contain many more forms for each soldier than the UK records. One in particular caught my eye concerning the distribution of a soldier's pay - he'd nominated his wife, via her own father (for whatever reason). This firmly linked the soldier to his wife's family - in fact, the names were sufficiently unusual for me not to need that proof but someone else might not have such a firm connection.

So plenty of good stuff in military records for non military matters!

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jethro Tull » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:08 pm

It's so, so satisfying to find that missing puzzle piece. It's really surprising what you can find in all sorts of records, not just the Military ones. But I honestly never thought I would find what I needed in there!

Dan

Sent from my SM-G930F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby JaneyH » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:28 pm

What a brilliant story, Dan. Perhaps there should be a new section of the forum devoted to success stories! It might act as encouragement to others ...

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Jethro Tull » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:41 pm

Cheers JaneyH,

It would be a cool idea for successes to be shared, if only to give ideas and hints of where some random links came from. It may encourage others to find and search the other "odd" or seemingly un-related hints that may link to further family developments.

Cheers

Dan.

Sent from my SM-G930F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Return to Genealogy chat