Moderator Control Panel ]

LMA research help please

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: LMA research help please

Postby batty » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi,
Peter thanks for that print out. Unfortunately I cannot supply a copy death cert to the Oma as I don't know when John Clarke died. That is what I am trying to find out. Also they charge £80 for one hours research!

Ian, thanks again for all your info, I have tried checking on ancestry but I don't seem to be able to find the things you have found. Can I please ask you to give me the names of the records you used so I can find them and print them off. It doesn't seem to want to do that from your messages on this forum.
Going back to the original request for a look up, I thought as the admission and discharge registers wouldn't fall within the 100 year thing as John went in in 1916, it might be permitted to look at them.
batty

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:02 pm

The date range of the reference finishes in 1919 so that suggests that the book goes up to then. The fact that you're interested in a guy who left over 100y ago doesn't matter - the whole book has to be restricted to stop people looking at later stuff.

If the last entry really is in 1919 and if the closure period is 100y (and there's no adding a bit on to protect relatives) then presumably it'll be opened on 1 January 2020.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi
It does though seem crazy that admissions to an adult mental hospital in 1919 can't be looked up by the public in 2018! I mean, no one in that register could be alive today. Unless they were Japanese perhaps.

More apologies - I had completely forgotten the Brookwood records on ancestry!
Surrey, England, Admissions to Brookwood and Holloway Mental Hospitals, 1867-1900.
Name: John Clarke
Birth Year: abt 1863
Admission Date: 3 May 1887
Hospital: Brookwood Asylum
Hospital Place: Woking, Surrey, England
Place of Abode: Lambeth

There are so many things to remember now!
The Lambeth records all come from their (mainly) unindexed London poor law records
https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1557

Use the small boxes on the right, under "Browse this collection"
Select
Borough - Lambeth
Parish or Poor Law Union - Lambeth
Record Type - Register of Lunatics

Scroll down to Register of Lunatics in Miscellaneous Asylums But Chargeable to Lambeth, 1867-1899

There are various registers on this film.
Image 256(I think) has John in the Claybury list
Image 841 has John in Brookwood (but there might be another list?)

I'll have to recheck it all (it's quite hard to find) and get back if that's wrong.

This link may work for the rough exam, it's his father they are talking to
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/ ... 3087-00036

You can find it anyway by selecting Lambeth/Lambeth, and then "Settlement Papers"
and scroll down to Rough Settlement Examinations, 1887-1889
It's on image 37 (of 355)
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:20 pm

I must be missing something with Lambeth. Don't know what it is.
There are more records on FamilySearch (some of them are on ancestry, but these go later)
They show, on a week by week basis, the numbers of Lambeth patients in various asylums. Along with lists of who has been admitted and discharged.
So in late October 1914 a couple of their female patients at Claybury were discharged (transfers to other asylums are also noted)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1390389

And (on the next page/image) we can see this reflected in the totals. At Claybury they had 42 men and 36 women at week ending 31 October 1914, compared to 42-38 the previous week. The numbers are unchanged for w/e 7 November.
Their numbers at Leavesden (on the original image) are unchanged (12-36)

Compare and contrast that absence of John with F G Fielder, whose transfer to Leavesden is shown w/e 8 January 1916

They also had a female patient go from Claybury that week, and these changes are reflected in the totals (next image)

The relevant stuff in the London poor law records on ancestry (that I previously mentioned!) is also here, ie.
John Clarke in Claybury
ianbee

Postby batty » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi Ian, thank you so much for your help. I will have a thorough search on the sites to see if I can find anything else
batty

Postby junkers » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:32 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:The date range of the reference finishes in 1919 so that suggests that the book goes up to then. The fact that you're interested in a guy who left over 100y ago doesn't matter - the whole book has to be restricted to stop people looking at later stuff.

If the last entry really is in 1919 and if the closure period is 100y (and there's no adding a bit on to protect relatives) then presumably it'll be opened on 1 January 2020.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app

There should be an assumption under data protection that the person was 100 years old or dead, so unless the person was put in the institution when under one ear old then it should be releasable, unless it is desperate to find the information then I'd wait until 1 January 2020. As far as the later comments (by IanB) about release of the records you can't really start making exceptions else where do you stop.
junkers

Previous

Return to General research queries