Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Artillary Help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Royal Artillary Help

Postby Ray Hines » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:49 am

Hi all

This is my first post and I hope that someone can maybe help me out. I found this old photo, WW2, and would like any background anybody can shed.

The Sgt is my Grandfather Edwin Cooper (Deceased) that's all I know. He never spoke about the war and all I know, from my Grandmother (Deceased) is that he spent time in France and N Africa. That's it. Any info or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fVH2SkSVt5JBgrqj9

Thanks
Ray
Ray Hines

Re: Royal Artillary Help

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:37 pm

The easiest way requires the expenditure of some cash (£30) - but then, doesn't everything?

Service records for anyone in the Army after (about) 1920 remain with the Ministry of Defence, who will provide copies to certain people. See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Note that you will need a death certificate (unless the death was in Army service). Further, for reasons that I've never quite understood, unless it's over 25 years since Edwin died, you'll need the consent of the next-of-kin to get the full story. I've never done this, I must add, but a couple of things spring to mind - firstly, I've seen advice that even if you have next-of-kin's consent, you should explicitly ask for the full set of records. Secondly at one time, the MoD took months to respond - it's said that things are coming through a lot quicker now.

Note that other sites do not offer anything like the full story - the full details for post-1920 soldiers are with the MoD and no-one else. That said, other sites do have some details - FindMyPast has Royal Artillery Other Ranks: Casualty Cards 1939-1947 and Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942. The latter can be misunderstood - the books (sometimes known as Recruitment Registers) record the recruitment of anyone in the RA between 1920 and 1942. It just so happens that the earliest recruits still around in 1920, joined the RA in 1883. Now, depending on when he joined, you might find Edwin in there - there's only 19 Edwin Coopers to look through. Unfortunately, most of the entries appear to be in the later format, which contains very little info - possibly not enough to even recognise if it's your GF. You might strike lucky if Edwin had lots of pre-WW2 service.

Good luck
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Ray Hines » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:45 pm

Thank you Adrian, a lot to think about there. £30 is a bit steep to think about at the moment but something I'll keep in mind.

Ray
Ray Hines

Postby ianbee » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Could be Edwin George Cooper. Born 23 July 1914. Married in 1933. Died in 1991. All in Devon.
That's a guess (kind of)
ianbee

Postby Ray Hines » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:53 pm

That's my Grandfather ianbee. I've got all of that stuff, I lived with him for 10 years. It's his military records I know nothing about, and nor do his 2 living daughters.

Ray
Ray Hines

Postby ianbee » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi
Well I'm glad it's the right man. I just thought it might help a little bit, perhaps with those Edwins in the RA on findmypast. We shall see!
He wasn't at home for the 1939 Register?
Ian
ianbee

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi Ray,one of his two living daughters can apply for the service records. They just need his date of birth. Date of birth or service number,only one is obligatory.I applied for my dads last year. I was told it could take months but it was quite quick. Good luck.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby Ray Hines » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:10 pm

Thanks for that Grace. Will still cost £30 though :-(

Ray
Ray Hines

Return to Military help