Moderator Control Panel ]

Flight Sergeant John ANDERSON RAFVR bc1924-1925

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Flight Sergeant John ANDERSON RAFVR bc1924-1925

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:25 pm

Flight Sergeant John ANDERSON (Service No. 1573409) was born in Scotland in 1924 or 1925. On 25 April 1944, he was one of two Air Gunners on a Halifax III Bomber (LK789) from 76 Squadron, on an operation over Karlsruhe, Germany from it's base at RAF Holme-on-Spalding.

Returning from the mission, LK789 was shot down and crashed near Welney, Norfolk. (This is a rural site between Ely and Downham Market.) The pilot and five other crewmen were killed, but John ANDERSON survived. He was rescued by local farmers and firemen, and taken to the RAF Hospital at Ely. Later he returned to thank his rescuers. John was 20 years old.

After the War, it is said that John moved to Norfolk, and settled near where his plane came down. But nothing else is known.

I have undertaken to help the nephew of the other Air Gunner on the plane that night, who would love to trace John. But finding a Scotsman (he had a 'very broad accent' it is said) with such a common name and no other details is very hard. There are 128 John ANDERSONs born in the period 1924-1925, on Scotland's People. There are no obvious records for John on BMD records for the area round Welney. I can find nothing in the newspapers on Findmypast. The RAF will only release records to relatives - my friend has tried. And RAF WW2 'Other Ranks' are very poorly covered on-line. I have placed a query on the Norfolk FHS Forum. My friend has utilised most of the usual RAF/WW2 Forums.

I would be grateful if anyone has any other ideas as to how to find him, or has come across John or his family.
Brummie on Exmoor

Re: Flight Sergeant John ANDERSON RAFVR bc1924-1925

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:24 am

One extra piece of information: it does appear that John was born in, or came from, Glasgow.
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby JaneyH » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:28 pm

I assume that you’ve seen this?
http://www.welney.org.uk/ww2/aircrashes ... y-1944.htm

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:44 am

Thanks Janey,

Yes, thank you this is one of the sites we have used. My friend is actually quoted on this site. He has found an amazing number of possible RAF/WW2 related sites but has still drawn a blank. The hope I think, is really that someone will actually KNOW John ANDERSON, or know enough about him, or perhaps even see a reference to him on something unrelated that mentions his RAF service, and then alerts us.

Thank you very much for looking for us though.

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby JaneyH » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:52 am

Are you on Facebook? I’m a member of a group called Fenland History (I grew up in the area so it’s of interest to me.) I appreciate that Welney is just in Norfolk, but there are lots of knowledgeable people on there. Alternatively I’m happy to post it there on your behalf and forward any replies here.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:04 am

Hi Janey,

No, I am not on Facebook. I would be very grateful if you could post for me, that would be so kind. It is possible that someone in the area might have heard of John or his history, even if the family WERE there and then moved away.

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby JaneyH » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 am

Will do - I'll keep you posted.
Janey
JaneyH

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:13 pm

Thank you very much, that is really kind of you.

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby ianbee » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:00 pm

Can I ask the source of some of your info?
Brummie on Exmoor wrote:After the War, it is said that John moved to Norfolk, and settled near where his plane came down.

Similarly, the reference to Glasgow.
Is there any possibility from what you know that he had a middle name? Or is that ruled out? Or whether he might have continued serving in the RAF after the war. Has anyone like that been eliminated previously?
Ian
ianbee

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi Ian,

As I referenced at the start, I am using my own experience of, and resources in, Genealogy, to assist someone who has been of great help to me on some military research I did on a family member. His own uncle was the other Gunner on the plane when ANDERSON survived. He is researching the event and those involved.

He was able to discover a certain amount from RAF material on open view, some of it only discovered as he is something of an expert. But because he is not related to ANDERSON, he could not obtain his WW2 file from the MOD. So he was left with the information on open release. The MOD did however, confirm that ANDERSON was just John ANDERSON, that he was 20 at the time of the accident, and that his home town was Glasgow. I don't really know if that means 'born in', 'lived in before he joined the RAF', or both. I suspect probably both.

The possibility that ANDERSON moved to live in Welney after the War, was something my friend was told by the grandson of the fireman who led the rescue in 1944. He was a local, possibly a local farmer.

That is all we know.

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Next

Return to Military help