Moderator Control Panel ]

Flight Sergeant John ANDERSON RAFVR bc1924-1925

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Flight Sergeant John ANDERSON RAFVR bc1924-1925

Postby ianbee » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:30 pm

Hi Jane
Thanks.
I was looking at a John Peter Anderson, born 1925 (possibly Bathgate, Scotland?), died Lincolnshire 2003 (possibly Spalding)
He was in the armed forces after the war, presumably during it, might have been RAF since there was an RAF staging post at Mauripur, Pakistan until 1956 (birth indexed there in the fifties of a possible child of his - presumably those indexes include RAF?)

Don't think it's the right chap, doesn't really fit, and there's bound to have been more than one John Anderson born Scotland 1924/5 in the RAF.
It's also difficult to be totally sure that I have only been looking at just one person and not an amalgam of several!
Sorry

Also found out that RAF Holme-on-Spalding was in Yorkshire and not to be confused with Spalding in Lincolnshire!
Ian
ianbee

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:42 am

Yes, as I warned my friend initially, this is a really difficult search, with only apparently, the one forename, and so little else that is certain.

Re the Spalding thing, yes, there were lots of bases right up the East coast. My own man, whom I was researching when I was given such generous help by the ANDERSON enquirer, was based at RAF Breighton, in the East Riding. But the flight plans often came in over the coast of north Norfolk. Also, I guess that if the plane had been hit, they tried to land as soon as they could, back in the UK, rather than heading back to their own base necessarily.

But thank you so much for looking.

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby phsvm » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:20 pm

Have you tried posting on any Bomber Command forums?
http://100548.activeboard.com/t44699624 ... n-halifax/

I don't know if this site is just to those who died or for anyone who was in Bomber command but worth taking a look to see if they can be of any help.
http://aircrewremembered.com

My mother's first husband was in Bomber Command and their groups were always very activee with reunions. newletters etc.
phsvm

Previous

Return to Military help