Moderator Control Panel ]

Boy George's episode

A place to chat about the 15th series of the genealogy programme, which will feature stories from Olivia Colman, Lee Mack, Boy George and more

Boy George's episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:19 am

Hello everyone!

Boy George's episode of Who Do You Think You Are? will be broadcast tonight at 9pm on BBC One.

It will see the singer, songwriter, DJ and fashion designer travelling to Ireland to investigate the mysteries in his family tree - including how his grandmother came to be taken into a children's home, and his family's connection to a leading Republican fighter during the War of Independence.

As ever, please let us know what you thought of the episode on this thread!
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Boy George's episode

Postby PostedPast » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:17 pm

The programme was an excellent example of us not necessarily needing to go that far back to find our pasts. The scene where BG visited the room for the hangings was chilling. Brutal history and brutal times.
PostedPast

Postby junkers » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:07 pm

Well-worth waiting for and showing a different side to Boy George to the usual accepted one. Both stories were terrible events and less than 100 years ago, the National Archives (Kew), has a record on the sentencing of Thomas Bryan and others amongst the Colonial Office records, Ireland was treated by the UK as a colony. There was no mincing of words over the actions of the British Army after the Easter Rising and neither should there be, it is history. The story about the Goldenbridge institution (run by the Sisters of Mercy!) is actually far worse than depicted in the programme if you do an internet search you will see, apparently the punishment books were not kept even though they should have been so were the existing records actually sanitised/not entered by the institutions?.
junkers

Postby Tabithabenef » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:36 pm

I really enjoyed this episode - always more enjoyable when you learn something.

I found it very interesting and Boy George also showed his interest and feelings, a whole new side to him . I think he should continue searching.

More like this please.
Tabithabenef

Postby meekhcs » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:05 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed this episode BUT, on a general note, I hate the fact that BBC are giving away details of forthcoming episodes in their trailers.
meekhcs

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2018