Moderator Control Panel ]

Was Ann married or not and who was Jane's father?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Was Ann married or not and who was Jane's father?

Postby woodchal » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:49 am

woodchal wrote:Name: Mary Dyson [Mary Haigh]
Birth Date: 1827
Marriage Date: 27 Aug 1854
Marriage Place: West Clayton, York, England
Father: Francis Haigh
Spouse: John Shaw
FHL Film Number: 1542173
Reference ID: p167

The marriage I posted earlier was probably the relevant wedding.
woodchal

Postby JaneyH » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:58 am

woodchal - agreed.

However, if Charles Frederick Dyson didn’t marry the woman who I thought was a spinster named Ann Elizabeth Shaw, then I’m not really interested in the Shaw family of Scissett after all. There is the possibility, of course, that Ann Elizabeth who I now know was born Dyson, turns out to link into my Dyson tree somewhere else. For that reason I’m keeping all the details I’ve put together on this one, but will delete the marriage link.

Many thanks, Janey

Update: I’ve looked at all the records again and I may well have the correct marriage for Charles Frederick Dyson, just that I’ve linked his wife to the family of John Shaw the weaver of Scissett instead of John Shaw the stone mason of Huddersfield. I’ve also had other ancestors living in Manchester Street Huddersfield so this family is more likely to be the correct one.
JaneyH

Postby woodchal » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:21 pm

I think a link to a Mason, is more likely than a Weaver

ianbee wrote:Ann Elizabeth's father John Shaw was a mason on the marriage record to Mr Dyson, which can be seen here.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=302468
woodchal

Postby JaneyH » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:22 pm

ianbee - what do you think the occupation of Charles Frederick Dyson is in that triple baptism in Bradford? It looks like it might say 'Maltster', but I'm not sure.

I've found Ann and children in the 1881 Census, in John Street Huddersfield. Ann is shown as a widow (occupation transcribed as 'bonber'(?)), with children Louisa (transcribed as Laura, born Huddersfield) 11, Ada 9 (born Lockwood) and Fred 5 (born Oldham, Lancs). All the birth locations tie up with those on the baptism, although Fred's age is a little out. In 1891 Ann is in Browning Street, Bradford (occupation tailoress), Ada 19 and Fred 17. Louisa is a boarder elsewhere in Bradford. In both Censuses Ann is described as a widow.

There's a possible death and burial for Charles Dyson Q4 1881 in Huddersfield, aged 33, which is a good match to him having been born in 1849. Annoyingly, however, this is obviously after the Census was taken so doesn't immediately square with Ann being a widow. I'm inclined to think that she and Charles may have separated some time before, noting that they were at separate addresses in 1871.

Any further thoughts gratefully received.
JaneyH

Postby ianbee » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi
I thought it said Malster as well. But two of the children may have given Moulder as their father's occupation when they married?
It's tricky for the death of Charles, as there were a few around again! I did notice that Ann Dyson had a lodger in Bradford in 1891, a man called Alfred Richardson. And she seems to have married Alfred in Bradford, but not until 1914!
Ian
ianbee

Previous

Return to General research queries