Moderator Control Panel ]

Another Berry family mystery

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Another Berry family mystery

Postby phsvm » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Horace Legg Berry married Alice Mary Louise Money in Norfolk in Dec Q 1917 and their daughter Barbara was born around the same time although her birth is registered in Wallingford, Berkshire.

As Ancestry is wont to do, it has linked Horace Legg to a Somerset Church of England Baptism. Unfortunately there isn't an image of the record but it lists spouse as Alice Mary Louise Berry. The transcription does say Horace Egg Berry which I take as a mistranscription but as it's very close to Legg which is a family name I can't believe these is anyone other than the correct Horace and Alice Berry.

This records are from 1813 to 1914 so this can't be Barbara's baptism and I can't find any other births that this could refer to.

All suggestions gratefully received.
phsvm

Re: Another Berry family mystery

Postby avaline » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:34 pm

The ancestry record quotes the reference D\P\bw.jo/2/1/12 and refers to the South West Heritage Trust / Somerset Archives & Local Studies. Putting that reference into their website produces the following description: Bridgwater St John Parish Records - 1912-1926

http://somerset-cat.swheritage.org.uk/r ... .jo/2/1/12
avaline

Postby elsabels » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:17 pm

Could the given name be Horace? Harry being an alternative?

The baptism appears to be for a male child
Name: Horace Egg Berry
Parish as it Appears: St John Baptist, Eastover, Bridgwater
Spouse: Alice Mary Louise Berry

Click on the header on ancestry 'Somerset, England, Church of England Baptisms, 1813-1914'

Select Bridgwater St John there are 48 pages of Baptisms for the period 1912-194
elsabels

Postby phsvm » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:16 pm

elsabels - what information are you trying to give? This is exactly the reference I gave in my original post.
phsvm

Postby phsvm » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:22 pm

elsabels - my apologies - jumping the gun.

Found. Many thanks
phsvm

Postby phsvm » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:47 pm

So having been through all the baptism for that parish it's not there!

I think it's, as avaline said, in the 1912 - 1926 baptisms which aren't there.
phsvm

Postby meekhcs » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:05 pm

phsvm wrote:So having been through all the baptism for that parish it's not there!

I think it's, as avaline said, in the 1912 - 1926 baptisms which aren't there.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:08 pm

There is a Somerset opc site. Unfortunately there is not an opc clerk for St John’s Bridgwater but a general email to the website may bring a result. Any online parish records for the church tend to end in 2014.
Sally

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby phsvm » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:58 pm

I've contacted the SW Heritage Trust and they charge a minimum of £8 plus photo copying for the entry.

Whilst I appreciate that they need to cover their costs £8 seems a bit steep for something which will take them less that ten minutes to find.

I'm researching about 70 names as part of a WW1 commemoration project and it would be hard to justify spending £8 on just one minor record. The proceeds from the sale of my research is going to support the Royal British Legion and our village church so all costs take money from them.

What particularly annoys me is that Ancestry appears, on the face of it, to be offering the record I need and I pay enough in subscription charges to them (which I'm not including in my costs for the project).
phsvm

Return to General research queries