Moderator Control Panel ]

World War 1 Army Record

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

World War 1 Army Record

Postby walthamx » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:49 am

I have a copy of my Great Grandfathers WW1 army record from Ancestry (or it could have been from Find My Past).

Anyway the record says that there is a letter attached from his wife (my great gran) about the parentage of her oldest son. Was Ancestry / Find My Past too polite to publish a personal letter for all to see? If I got a copy of the file from the National Archives would the letter be there?
walthamx

Re: World War 1 Army Record

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:38 am

Obviously I've not seen the papers in question but I would place a strong bet that you have everything that still exists. The War Office went through a process known as weeding whereby the clerks removed and destroyed stuff judged no longer relevant to the file. Remember this stuff was kept for official purposes, not academic investigation. Whether the weeding went by form number and/or the personal judgement of the clerk, I don't know.

If you want to see bigger files, take a look at the Canadian WW1 Army files - I suspect that they may never have been weeded and they have a *lot* more stuff than the UK stuff.

Anyway, in this case, I'd guess that the weeding clerk kept the covering letter (which says "attached" because it was once attached) but discarded the wife's letter. Logically the result of the letter could be recorded elsewhere in the paperwork so there was no need to record in detail how they got there. Sometimes (?) the children are recorded on one of the major forms, so if that is the case here, then the list is what the Army agreed the children were, so no need for anything else. And indeed, the weeding clerk may well have wanted to be delicate about the matter, so that might have been a further reason to weed it then.

All the above is a logical (to me) guess.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:15 am

It's Walter Hayward Smith again!
16223, Royal Warwickshire Regiment
post20307.html#p20307
ianbee

Postby elsabels » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:59 am

Edward G SMITH appears to have been registered at birth as

Deacon Edward G Deacon W. Ham 4a 656 the birth cert may show the father's name!

The note on the record suggests that Pte WH SMITH was the father see letter......Paymaster notified

The latter wording suggests that there was a formal arrangement in place for maintenance payments to Kate Deacon, these amounts were deducted from the pay of WH SMITH by the Paymaster ( General) . Not an uncommon action to ensure the child's parent ( mother) receives maintenance.

It would need to be a formal arrangement possibly via the local court for Paymaster to deduct the amounts form an employees pay.

The letter probably confirms Kate now married to WHS will no longer be making a maintenance claim against her now husband.
elsabels

Postby ianbee » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:03 pm

elsabels wrote:Deacon Edward G Deacon W. Ham 4a 656 the birth cert may show the father's name!

New GRO index
DEACON, EDWARD GEORGE
mother's maiden surname —
Reference: 1912 M Quarter in WEST HAM Volume 04A Page 656 Occasional Copy: A

Note that the army record says that Edward George (Deacon) was born 6/1/12, Sth Leyton
A second registration!
FreeBMD
Births
Mar 1946 Essex S.W. 4a 421
Smith, Edward G
mother Deacon

"The above transcription represents what is in the GRO index but it is referred to by the following entry
Births 1912 Mar: Smith, Edward G, Dea___, Essex.S.W., 4a, See M46"

Births
Mar 1912 Essex.S.W. 4a See M46
Smith, Edward G
mother Dea___

For the note added later to the 1912 index, mmn Deacon is transcribed as Deaver on findmypast.
Attachments
Smith Births March 1912.JPG
Smith Births March 1912.JPG (23.97 KiB) Viewed 730 times
ianbee

Return to General research queries