Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

A place to chat about the 15th series of the genealogy programme, which will feature stories from Olivia Colman, Lee Mack, Boy George and more
Post a reply

Re: Lee Mack's episode

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:36 pm

I enjoyed this one but was also disappointed that the Canadian angle was not followed up. I did a little research myself but couldn't find anything conclusive.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:44 pm

DianaCanada wrote:I enjoyed this one but was also disappointed that the Canadian angle was not followed up. I did a little research myself but couldn't find anything conclusive.

Actually, I think I have found her (Delia)! Would I be breaking any rules by posting it here?

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:18 am

I found a burial on Ancestry for Delia O'Farrell, wife of William Virtue. The record is in French and I almost missed a crucial word "et" but it went on to say she was the daughter of Thomas O'Farrell and Devaney. The latter I thought was a place name until I remembered Delia's mother was Mary Devany.
Delia died 2 Feb 1936, age 47. She was buried in the Montreal East cemetery, which would have been RC. The funeral took place at St Patrick's, a major downtown RC church (basilica) in Montreal. Her husband signed.
I could not find a marriage for Delia and William but thinking they might have gone to northern NY State to marry, if he was Protestant. There were only church marriages in Quebec at that time and mixed marriages were difficult to get done, hence a trip to the US might have solved the problem.
I did find baptisms at the same church to two babies in 1930 to William Virtue and Bridget O'Farrell which I think might be her, given the relative scarcity of the surnames in the area. Perhaps Bridget was her middle name.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:59 am

Just found a family tree for Delia on Ancestry, this is the same Delia, born Ballyna, Ireland, full name Delia Bridget O'Farrell Virtue. There is a photo of her as well. She married a Richard Passau before she married Virtue. There were a number of children.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:28 pm

The episode was rather thin on the ground.
The Canada end if the story needed clarified, even if that just meant knowing there was a dead end. Likewise, the medal card should have been properly explained.
I was also left wondering about Grandad Joe’s lack of a birth certificate. He was known in the family by two forenames and a surname but the Irish census showed him with two different forenames and a different surname as well which clearly Lee’s auntie had no knowledge of. Had the researchers tried every combination of the four forenames and two surnames both in England and in Ireland? I find it hard to believe that there was no registration as late as 1910.
It seemed to me that Lee was very much aware of the significance of guns in 1922 Ireland, he just did not want to commit himself to saying the wrong thing thereby leaving himself open to the vagaries of social media. I also felt that the Irish historian chap was rather scarily forceful in his views which could have accounted for Lee’s reticence.
I found Lee to be rather facetious right through the whole episode. At least his witterings on the train gave me time to make a cuppa.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:36 pm

This is not meant as a criticism of the overall series, as I think the BBC does a great job and let's face it, there are not many shows for us genealogists and as far as production values go, it leaves the US version in the dust. I am not always interested in the topics covered but there is still something to learn.

I keep thinking though, if I was able to find what happened to Delia in about a half hour of looking, why wasn't this included in the programme? A simple "Delia went to Montreal and died there in 1936" would have sufficed. I can't think they were deliberately trying to create a mystery, but why the lack of closure?

All in all, though, I thought it was very good, and Lee Mack, who I had never heard of - well, his quips and humour are how he relates to life, so it was natural for him. I don't think I'd want the "talent" putting on a phony front. That being said, I loved Olivia Colman's naturalness and can't wait to see her in the upcoming Crown.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:03 pm

I think Diana's point about 'closure' is very well made. When I raised the whole Canadian issue in my 1st post on this thread, that was essentially what I was looking for. Even if she started a new life, and had a family out in Canada who wanted nothing to do with the show, a one-liner could have been included which just ruled a line under the whole issue, rather than leaving half of those posting here, debating what happened to her.

Jane
Post a reply