Moderator Control Panel ]

Finding a Burial (1877) in Chilton/Ferryhill, County Durham.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Finding a Burial (1877) in Chilton/Ferryhill, County Durham.

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:32 pm

I would be very grateful for help in locating a burial in August 1877, in County Durham.

A sibling of my 2xGreat Grandmother, one James ABLEY, and his wife Ann, moved to County Durham sometime between Sept 1872 and Aug 1877, and lived for at least 5 years in the mining community of Chilton, south of Ferryhill Station, and east of Bishop Auckland, in Stockton Registration District.

Their 4 youngest children moved north from the West Midlands with them, including their daughter Emily ABLEY, born on 3 April 1866 in Dudley. Emily was Christened in Dudley, and then was with her parents and siblings in 1871, in Hanley, Staffordshire. But after that, there is no sign of a marriage, death or census entry. I have been looking on and off for some years.

Finally, widening the search parameters, I found a death which I felt needed investigation and sent for the Death Certificate. Elizabeth ABLEY: aged 11 (correct), daughter of James ABLEY (correct), working in a Colliery (correct), died of Epilepsy on 4 August 1877. The death was registered by her brother John (correct, as Emily had an older brother, John Henry, b 1859, who moved north with his parents and siblings). The address was Little Chilton Colliery, Chilton: James and Ann were living in Chilton by the 1881 Census (under the surname ABBEY).

I am convinced that Elizabeth is actually Emily, and that an error was made over her forename. The family were not especially literate, and I have seen errors on certificates before, possibly caused by unfamiliar regional accents being mis-interpreted.

But a burial would help to confirm the identity. I have drawn a blank on the National Burials Index, Findmypast's Durham burials, Ancestry, Familysearch, Find a Grave, Deceased online and FreeReg. Please can anyone advise me as to where this child might be buried.

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Re: Finding a Burial (1877) in Chilton/Ferryhill, County Dur

Postby meekhcs » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Jane
I would look at this site and possibly drop them an email with as much info as possible. www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/
I have found them helpful in the past.

Durham Records online is another useful website but it is fee paying. I would imagine that the burial would have taken place at Bishop Auckland. Unfortunately DRO have not added the relevant records yet. I did put the surname in the search box but nothing came up.

A third possibility is http://www.ndfhs.org.uk/ - the Northumberland and Durham family History Society. Their website hosts a very knowledgeable local Forum and someone maybe able to help.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:46 pm

Thank you Sally, I will try these.

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby avaline » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Chilton Town Council are apparently putting their burial records online within the next few months:

http://www.chiltondurham-tc.gov.uk/cemetery/#
avaline

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:01 pm

Thank you Avaline, that looks VERY interesting.

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:23 pm

I am !!! Thank you.

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Return to General research queries