Moderator Control Panel ]

Who was George Caulder?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Who was George Caulder?

Postby phsvm » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:22 pm

I posted this query some years ago and thought it was solved but no and I'm back to square one. Can any one have more luck than I've had?

G Caulder appears on a Roll of Honour in our village Church. These are the men who survived the war. I am now having great difficulty finding G Calder. This is what I have ascertained.

George Caulder was living in the village - Chilton, Berkshire - in 1915. He appears on the electoral rolls for then. I assume this means he wasn't a 'regular' soldier (or if he had been he'd retired by then). I think the Roll may have been put together sometime after 1919 as there are a number of errors on it which I don't think would be there if people's memories had been fresh. For him to have been remembered for any lenght of time I think he must have been in the area/village for a while to have made a mark.

FMP lists a George Frederick Caulder living in Surrey who attested on 29 August 1890. He was aged 21 years 10 months. In 1911 shows him living in Farnham. He was discharged in August 1911 and died in Farnham in 1915.

I've found the following births
George (William) Caulder - born and died, Kingston, Surrey 1884
Ernest George Caulder - born 1893, died 1901, Burnham/Eton, Bucks

FMP lists a birth and baptism for George Arthur Caulder. There is a discrepancy with his birth registration which is 1878 but his baptism, as Arthur George is 1877. I can't find him on any census returns with his parents Giles and Henrietta although I have found them with other children. FMP has military papers for him for the Boer War ( nos. 316) I know they are his because he gives the same names for his parents - Giles and Henrietta. His military papers do suggest he has an older brother called George Arthur which can't be correct as that's his name but I think he had an older brother Thomas. There is enough evidence for me to be 99.9% certain that all these records are the same person. I have a marriage for him for 9 Oct 1912 to his cousin Charlotte Caulder.

I can find medal records for him for the Boer War but nothing later. I can find no trace of his death or him on the 1939 register.

I don't believe his is the Private G Calder mentioned in a Court of Inquiry in Didcot 1919.
phsvm

Re: Who was George Caulder?

Postby phsvm » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:47 pm

I've now confirmed that George Arthur Calder whose parents were Giles and Henrietta is not the one whose birth is registered as Arthur George in 1878.

The latter is the son of Elizabeth and Arthur Caulder. The 1901 census lists him as 'feeble minded' and my 1911 is an inmate at the Kingston Workhouse.
phsvm

Postby ianbee » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:55 pm

I think - as you possibly do - that it's quite likely he was working in the racing world. Not that it helps.
Caulder/Calder - there's an Alfred Glenville Caulder in Chilton in 1925, I've only gone back one electoral roll before that, he was there in autumn 24. That chap was born Calder, and seems to have been a jockey, I think must have married in Yorkshire in 1912 as Glenville Calder (age 23, jockey, no father named!), died in Gloucestershire 1927 (did he marry twice?)
In 1911 he is in Gloucestershire as Glenvill Calder, 22, a groom, born Brighton. I don't think he had a brother George. He does though (if it is the same person!) have a father (Alfred) in 1891 in Hove.

In England/Wales he is the only Alfred G Calder in the indexes, but there is one in Scotland in 1896 :|, so was he the Alfred G Calder in the medal index cards, Army Veterinary Corps, no. 19889?

Sorry about the digression, with no brother George it would mean that the George in 1915 would be a mistake for Glenville, or because he lived in Chilton later they added him on to the Roll.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:59 pm

The Sportsman, Wednesday 23 April 1924
CARDIFF.
WELSH GRAND NATIONAL.
WIN FOR DWARF OF THE FOREST.

Well done Glenville! But I think my money would have been on Mr Madcap.
And Glenville had finished fourth in the Grand National at Aintree a month or so earlier, riding Drifter. Can see the race online (as filmed by Pathé)

We still need to find George Caulder though!
Attachments
The Sportsman.JPG
The Sportsman.JPG (69.55 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
ianbee

Postby phsvm » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:15 pm

Ianbee. Thank you so much for beavering away at this one. I'm afraid I haven't had the hance to study what you've found yet (that's what working for the NHS does for you!) but hopefully this weekend I'll get the chance.

I think Glenville is worth having a closer look at. We're a steeplechase area round here so Grand National horses could well be ridden by jockeys based in this area. Our most famous trainer in Chilton was Leonard Cundell so if I can find any link between him and Glenville we might be making progress. I think if either his 4th in the National or his 1st in the Welsh GN were from horses trained in Chilton we'd already know about it.
phsvm

Postby phsvm » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:14 pm

I'm returning to George again and don't seem to be any closer to finding him.

I have, however, managed to rule out Glenville Calder. I've had a good look at him and although he may have been in Chilton briefly in 1925 I don't think he's the G Caulder I'm looking for.

Glenville died in 1927 and there are a number of reports of his death in the press. A well known jockey he died of cancer and his funeral was quite widely reported. All the reports, which I guess were syndicated as most are word for word the same, mention him being attached to a racing stables and trainer in Gloucestershire. I think if he'd had any connections with the racing industry in Chilton it would have been mentioned. There is no mention of any wasr service, even as someone working with horses in France which would have been quite likely given his background.
phsvm

Postby trace » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:43 pm

I believe Giles first wife died in 1875 Kingston age 34approx.
(Giles Caulder & Ellen Saunders married 1866 Kingston)
Could the George you are looking for came from a previous relationship of Harriett?
I cannot locate a marriage for Giles to Harriett so far......

[EDIT] whoops Arthur Caulder marr Elizabeth Sanders 1876 Kingston so having 2nd thoughts!
The births prior to Ellen's death are registered with SAUNDERS as mmn
Births after 1875 are registered with SANDERS as mmn ...close but perhaps significant?
trace

Postby trace » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:57 pm

Yet....Ernest b 1881 is with Giles & Henrietta on 1901 & 1911 Census
trace

Postby trace » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 pm

In 1891 Census with Giles & Henrietta is a JESSIE yet no birth for a Jessie Caulder......
so perhaps George and Jessie are children of Henrietta and Giles is not their father...??

That would explain why George declares as an older brother George Arthur on Army forms..E

EDIT
There is a baptism for Gertrude JESSIE Caulder in 1879 to Giles & Henrietta

When Henrietta Beatrice is baptised 3 June 1877 (Birth Feb) there is also a George Arthur baptised - both to Giles & Henrietta. There is no birth date given for George A - all other baptisms have a birth date in the margin.
trace

Postby phsvm » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:48 pm

Thanks Trace. I think this is just going to have to stay a mystery. I've been going round in circles trying to find out who George was but even with all this info I'm getting no where.

Both George and his wife Charlotte seem to disappear after their marriage in 1912 and I still have nothing to connect them to a small rural village on ther Berkshire Downs. Why on earth would a couple who obviously have very strong family ties to Kingston Upon Thames suddenly appear on the electoral roll 70 miles away, and then only once, in 1915 (and then of course it's only George who's listed)?
phsvm

Next

Return to General research queries