Moderator Control Panel ]

Crimean War 1854 - Mercantile Marine

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Crimean War 1854 - Mercantile Marine

Postby KatieJB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:29 am

My 2 x great grandfather, Peter Campbell, was born 1 January 1825 at either Inverary or Tarbet, Argylleshire, Scotland (depending upon the source of the information).

His obituary says that he was engaged in the Mercantile Marine during the Crimean War; and that he entered Balaclava Harbour with the First Transport - transporting troops to the seat of war. He was wounded and sent to hospital where he came under the care of Florence Nightingale. His obituary says he has distinct memories of Florence Nightingale. He sailed for Australia the day Peace was proclaimed in 1856.

Can anyone tell me (or help me) where to start to find information on him and the Mercantile Marine, please? Do service records exist that could help us to identify OUR Peter Campbell?

My cousin and myself have been researching Peter Campbell for many years, but information on his service during the Crimean War has always alluded us. Any assistance or guidance would be most appreciated. Many thanks.
Kate
KatieJB

Re: Crimean War 1854 - Mercantile Marine

Postby midshipman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:51 am

Florence Nightingale arrived in Turkey on 4th November 1854 with a contingent of nurses. The conflict had begun in October 1853.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
midshipman

Re: Crimean War 1854 - Mercantile Marine

Postby KatieJB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:54 am

Oops! Sorry my mistake. I would be grateful for any guidance that may help us to find our Peter Campbell. Many thanks!
KatieJB

Return to Military help