Moderator Control Panel ]

"Bradford goods"

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

"Bradford goods"

Postby loiseau22 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:08 pm

I am sure somebody will be able to tell me...

I have an ancestor who is listed in 1861 as a "traveller in Bradford goods".
If I google "Bradford goods" I just get a load of shoppe in modern-day Bradford.

Can anyone enlighten me?
loiseau22

Re: "Bradford goods"

Postby woodchal » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:21 pm

I googled and found a description of an Original colour lithograph called ”Bradford Goods” of Sir Henry Mitchell (1824 - 27 April 1898). He was a Bradford mill Owner. This strongly suggests that Bradford goods relates to Bradford’s primary “cloth” industry

The description goes on to say that He was born in Esholt, Bradford to manufacturer Matthew Mitchell and started work at 14 years of age in his father's mill. In 1841 he joined William Fison and Co and seven years later moved to A&S Henry and Co as a buyer, becoming a partner in 1852. By that time he was a leading authority on the worsted trade and influential in Bradford politics. He was a philanthropist and governor of the Bradford School Board and Grammar School and Vice President of the Bradford's Mechanic Institute. He was a Justice of the Peace and elected Mayor of Bradford in 1874.

The dates would suggest that Bradford goods was a term in use in your time frame.
woodchal

Return to General research queries