Moderator Control Panel ]

John Clowdesley, Clerk of the Cheque, Office of Ordnance

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: John Clowdesley, Clerk of the Cheque, Office of Ordnance

Postby ianbee » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:49 am

ianbee wrote:Captain William Clowdesly, a gentleman who had the honor to bear his Majesty's commission in the 6th regiment of infantry, under the command of General Waldegrave, at the battle of Minden, in 1759 Minden"

The steam-boat companion, from Queenhithe to Richmond, and on to Hampton Court and Windsor
page 102

More about Minden here
https://www.britishbattles.com/frederic ... of-minden/

There's no mention of the 6th. But there were six regiments of foot there.
The Captain may have been in the 12th....
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=v3- ... &q&f=false

Any thoughts from Coasterman? Is the Captain likely to be the man you are looking for?
Ian
Attachments
London Magazine.JPG
London Magazine.JPG (43.59 KiB) Viewed 112 times
ianbee

Postby coasterman21 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:35 am

John C. married firstly Sally May March in Gosport in 1777. I have been unable to trace any children from this marriage. She died in Faversham in 1799. John married secondly Elizabeth Chinnery in Faversham in 1802. There were 5 children: John in 1803, Anna Maria in 1805, William Peckham (my 2x great grandfather), Amelia in 1810 and Sarah Ann in 1814. However, a Henry Clowdesley Chinnery was born in 1801 and so strictly speaking he was illegitimate. In the will of Sarah Farhill, nee Peckham, he was left a bequest as well as his father.
coasterman21

Postby coasterman21 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:05 am

The mention of East Molesey has proved very interesting. I knew about a William Clowdesley but had up until your post been unable to make a definite connection to the William C. who married Jane Peckham. Interestingly, William C. served an apprenticeship as a goldsmith in Southwark and married Jane on completion. His uncle, William Turner, was also a goldsmith and left much of his estate to William C. His uncle died at a young age and before William had completed his apprenticeship and so I imagine he was fairly wealthy when he married Jane. His brother Robert wrote a will before he went to India (Bengal) in 1762 in which he left everything to William. Sadly Robert died in 1766. It would appear that another brother, Harry, was also living in East Molesey but seems to have had a big falling out with his family as he states in his will that he doesn't want any of them to attend his funeral. He also stated that he wanted his funeral to take place late at night. Happy families!
coasterman21

Postby coasterman21 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:25 am

The info about William's military career opens a whole new line of enquiry which I hadn't been expecting. It may explain why I have been unable to find John C's birth as I suppose there is a possibility that he could have been born abroad. I had a quick look last night at the regiment he was serving with at Minden and if I am correct it became the Suffolk Regiment. As today, I guess that commissioned officers don't necessarily join their home regiment. The archives are held in Bury St Edmunds and I suppose that at some stage I may need to pay them a visit.

Thanks for all your information. I haven't had time to digest it all yet but I am reasonably convinced that William is John's father.
coasterman21

Previous

Return to General research queries