Moderator Control Panel ]

Alexander Sinclair and Barbara Mitchell marriage record

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Alexander Sinclair and Barbara Mitchell marriage record

Postby RozBanks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:18 am

I am searching for a marriage record for Alexander Sinclair Esq., born about 1709 and Barbara Mitchell born about 1705 on the Shetland Isles. (Her father could be sir John MitchellI can find no record of the marriage on Scotlandpeople.Their first child John Charles was born 1729 in Tingwall , Shetland. Quite a few trees on Ancestry have linked them to many prominent families on Shetland, but I can find no trace of any of them on ScotlandsPeople.
RozBanks

Re: Alexander Sinclair and Barbara Mitchell marriage record

Postby meekhcs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:11 pm

What proof do you have that Andrew Sinclair and Barbara Mitchell were the parents of John Charles?
The baptism records I have found to date for John Charles only name the Father.
The only marriage I have found is Andrew Sinclair to Marg.Thomasdr. in Tingwall in 1730 but it is an index only, no details. Have you found this record on Scotlands People?- and if so do any of the details eg address, witnesses, tie in with any proven info you already have.
The fact that the Ancestry Trees are not proven leads me to think they have made assumptions rather than proven their research and as such cannot be relied upon..
I don't have a scotland's people account so I cannot investigate further there.
meekhcs

Postby RozBanks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:45 pm

I only have proof that Alexander was the father, I have downloaded 3 of his children's baptisms from Scotlands people and they all say Alexander Sinclair of Brau is the father. I got the name Barbara from ancestry trees. Non of the trees have indicated where the info for this Barbara Mitchell comes from, or any of the families of noble Scottish birth in the Shetland Isles, Just seems odd that none can be found on Scotlandpeople. I guess on Ancestry they have all copied the info from each other.
RozBanks

Postby meekhcs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:30 pm

I agree re the Ancestry Trees however I suspect most found their info on this site:-
https://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/
It is a very comprehensive site, free to look at and research on.
It has Andrew Sinclair married to Barbara Mitchell BUT does not have a marriage date. There is a long list of children for the couple.
It may be worth emailing the site owner to see how he verified a "marriage" or came to the conclusion they were the parents of the children listed. He may be able to point you towards further research.
Sally
meekhcs

Postby RozBanks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:56 pm

I did come across this site earlier, I'll see if I can contact them - may thanks for your help
RozBanks

Return to General research queries