Moderator Control Panel ]

Assistance Needed!! HENDRY in the Shetland Islands 1860s

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Assistance Needed!! HENDRY in the Shetland Islands 1860s

Postby mooze21 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:05 am

I'm currently tracing my maternal grandmothers’ family tree and have hit a roadblock so I need some help please!! I'm trying to find a birth, marriage and death record for my great great grandmother, however I have significant issues regarding her name.

According to family records, her maiden name was HENDRY and she was known as Olive but born Ousla. From official Scottish records, I have determined she was born somewhere in the Shetland Islands in the 1860s. The 1891 census has her listed as Ousellie, age 29, born in Shetland. The 1901 census has her listed as Oezellie, age 35, born in Shetland, Parish N.K.

I know she married John William WATSON (dob unknown but born in England according to the census) and have obtained the marriage date of 06/02/1885 in Edinburgh, Scotland from the children’s birth records. I have been unable to find a marriage record.

They had six children (from five births):
• William (DOB unknown)
• Wilhemina Hendry (born 14/06/1887, died in 1948 in Melbourne, Australia)
• James Hendry (born Jan 1889, died WWI)
• Ousellie Hendry and Susanna (twins) (born 03/01/1891)
• Elizabeth (DOB unknown, died in 1948 in Melbourne, Australia)

On the birth records for Wilhemina and James, she is listed as Alice WATSON nee HENDRY, but for the twins Ousellie (known as Olive) and Susanna, she is listed as Ousellie.

As if this wasn’t confusing enough, once I tracked down some of the children’s marriage records, I found she was listed as Olive on daughter Susanna’s marriage record in 1911 and as Alice on daughter Wilhemina’s marriage record in 1914. I have not been able to find marriage records for son James or daughter Olive. According to family records, son William and daughter Elizabeth did not marry or have children.

The only information I have regarding my great great grandmother’s death is that it occurred during or prior to 1911 as she is listed as deceased on daughter Olive’s marriage record. I believe she died in Scotland as she did not emigrate to Australia.

My main source of information for the above has been records from ScotlandsPeople (invaluable!) and family records. Ancestry and FindMyPast have not given me anything either. I have tried all manner of spellings to find a trace of her, but no luck. I’ve even just tried searching by her maiden name and no first name but have come up empty. Does anyone have any idea where else I should be looking or what I should do from here?

I have copies of all the above mentioned records in both PDF and JPG if required.

Thanks for reading my long, complicated message!!

Regards
Ann-Marie :)
mooze21

Re: Assistance Needed!! HENDRY in the Shetland Islands 1860s

Postby johnf04 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:02 am

There is this marriage on Scotlands People

WATSON
JOHN W

HENRY
URSULA
685/2 50
St Andrew (Edinburgh)
johnf04

Postby johnf04 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:06 am

And this birth

HENRY
URCILIA
F
009/ 85
Sandsting and Aithsting
johnf04

Postby johnf04 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:10 am

And this death - the search was for surname Watson, Forename starting with "U", other surname starting with "H".

WATSON
URSULA
685/6 818
Morningside
johnf04

Postby ciderdrinker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:19 am

Good Morning and Welcome to the Forum.
This is a difficult one.But we are all here to help.

I spotted a Wilhemina Hendry from Lerwick working as a cook in Edinburgh at 31 Howard Place on the 1881 census.She is 22 so born 1859 and would fit as Oezeillie's sister.
It looks like she marries a Francis McKenzie in 1894 at St George Edinburgh.It's on Scots people and so may well be worth a look.
And It looks like she died in Cambuslang in 1947 age 76 years.
If you could find her on the census you never know there might be relatives staying with her.
In theory if the family followed the traditional naming pattern for their children Wilhemina is the name of Ousla's mother and Susanna would be the mother of John William Watson but obviously that's not set in stone.

Otherwise there is a Osla Hendry age 1 day on the 1851 census with grandparents James and Osla Jameson at Westerick.It looks like her father is James Hendry 34 and mother Margaret 30.It's possible she died and they had another daughter with the same name.

It's strange that the earlier censuses for Shetland don't seem to be on line.Have you tried the Wills and valuation rolls ?There seems to be only a Charles Hendry on Sheltland 1855.

Familysearch is another website
http://www.shetlandheritageassociation.com or other family history group sites might help.

Sorry I know i wasn't much help but just wanted to add a few suggestions but I see someone else has done a great job and found her.

Following that up -baptism Urcilla Henry 15 Dec 1862 James Henry and Margaret Jameson Sandsting and Aithsting,Shetland,Scotland.
Parents marriage 1.1.1850 Sandsting and Aithsting,Shetland,Scotland

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby mooze21 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:06 am

Thank you both SO much for your help!

Whilst looking for the records under Ursula, I accidentally clicked on a marriage search instead of birth and found daughter Olive's marriage record! I only made the connection because a family record indicated that she married a David SCOTT. She is listed as Ursula so this leads me to think that my great great grandmother also used Ursula, which fits with your discoveries johnf04. I have checked the marriage record you suggested and you’re 100% correct! Gosh I wish my family would stop changing their names around!

I’ve now been able to locate marriage records for William’s parents as well – now working on Ursula/Ousellie/Olive/Alice :)

Thank you again!!
mooze21

Postby atlantikman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:49 pm

This is a good website for your Shetland ancestors:

https://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/index.php

Regards,
Paul.
atlantikman

Return to General research queries