Moderator Control Panel ]

Edwin Dean, illegitimate father of Isabella Dean Cabell

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Edwin Dean, illegitimate father of Isabella Dean Cabell

Postby gardenpea » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:49 am

I'm trying to find out further information about Edwin Dean. The information I have on him is
- he only exists on the marriage certificate of his daughter, Isabella Dean Cabell (b. 1868, Yeovil; m. 1893, Somerset; d. 1946, Bath).
- on his daughter's marriage certificate, he is listed as being deceased, and a butler. He's listed there as being Edwin Dean Cabell, but I'm fairly certain that the Cabell bit was added to make it look like Isabella was legitimate. I'm open to the idea that he wasn't dead by then - she may have said that to explain away the fact that he wasn't there.
- he is not listed on the daughter's baptism record, and nor is any other father, though she's not specifically noted as being illegitimate. I've got a birth cert on order, but I'll be surprised if he's listed there.
- having asked the only relation who can still remember Isabella Dean Cabell, the story is that the mother of Isabella (Eliza Cabell) was in service and was "a naughty girl" with the son of the household, and lost her job for it. My relative had no idea of the name of the father, but the marriage certificate lists him as a butler, which fits with minor variations of the story - i.e. she was in service but it was the butler not the son. The location of the household is unknown, though chances are it was somewhere in the Somerset / Wiltshire / Dorset area.
- I've toyed with the name of the father, Edwin Dean, on the marriage certificate being listed incorrectly, but Isabella Dean Cabell was baptised with the surname as a middle name, and subsequently named her own (legitimate!) child Edwin.

Unfortunately the site won't let me include an Ancestry link to what I've found about Isabella :?

Unfortunately, while there are Edwin Deans that are alive at the right time, I don't have any details that will help me narrow it down - or anything to confirm things if I do find the right one. Is there anything I should look at to narrow it down or is this just a dead end?
gardenpea

Re: Edwin Dean, illegitimate father of Isabella Dean Cabell

Postby KayFarndon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:25 pm

I have just looked at the 1861 census using Somerset as a location and found an Edwin Dean b. 1857, Wedmore, which would have made him about 16 if he was Isabella's father when she was born.
Have you looked at this census? I did put his name into FreeBMD for a death search and it came up with too many for me to look at today.
Sorry I can be of no more help, but will warn you that the changes of spellings to names is rife and a nightmare at times.
KayFarndon

Postby woodchal » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:41 pm

No fathers name on baptism record, shows conclusively that she was illegitimate and the fact that she was registered with mothers name and no maiden name given in GRO index, just makes it even more certain.

Beyond that I think you can read too much into the Dean name, without any ability to prove or disprove a theory - unless you can go to DNA.

I have a situation where the middle name was definitely was the father's surname (or so I'm told by family), but really how can I really prove prove it?
woodchal

Postby ianbee » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:48 pm

Take it that Eliza Cabell was from Holwell in Dorset, and her daughter Isabella was with uncle Thomas Cabell in that place in 1871? Eliza was still unmarried in 1871 and working in Bradford on Avon? She wasn't particularly young when Isabella was born.

If the details Isabella gave for her father are in any way accurate, there is, as a possibility, the Edwin Dean, butler, found in Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire in 1861. Age 38, born in Crewkerne, Somerset. Actually says he is married. Living with Jane Farr. I don't know if Jane was his paramour, or they are just together at the Rectory House as employees of The Rev Robert Burr Bourne (as they were in 1851 in Worcestershire)
You've probably seen all this. That Edwin died in 1870, was buried in Donhead, left a will.
ianbee

Postby woodchal » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Isabella is found with Cabell relatives in the 1871 census living in Peaceful Lane. She is given the name Isabella Carrey (a boarder). Perhaps this name is another clue to parentage.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 23.48.01.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 23.48.01.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 884 times
woodchal

Postby ianbee » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:59 pm

Carrey could be a clue, yes.
Forget Jane Farr being involved with that butler as his wife Nancy is next door at the Rectory Farm! She died in 1878. He would have had to have been very naughty indeed to be the father of Isabella, especially as butler to the rector!
Reverend Bourne does have four female servants in 1871 (as well as the new butler!)
ianbee

Postby elsabels » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:28 am

RG11; Piece: 3942; Folio: 11; Page: 15;
100 Franchise St Pendleton in Salford Lancashire
William Seth Gartell 28
Mary Gartell 32
Isabella Cabell 12 Boarder Holwell, Dorset
George Harley 27

Name: Mary Catell Register indicates CABELL
Marriage Age: 28
Event Type: Marriage