Moderator Control Panel ]

Help a newbie? William Wilson b Nov 1764 Dumfrieshire

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Help a newbie? William Wilson b Nov 1764 Dumfrieshire

Postby zarasdreamz » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:11 pm

I have been researching my family tree. I’m a complete novice, but using a family bible, Find My Past and Scottish People I have managed to trace my 4x GGrandfather on my fathers side. He was William Wilson born 11th November 1764 and married to Janet Boyes born 1779, married in Applegarth Dumfries on the 5th Sept 1797. They had 11 children , one of which (Henry ) was a master miller at Brydekirk Mill near Annan in Dumfriesshire. I’ve managed to get information about Henry my 3x GGF and family that came after. However, I can’t find anything else out about William and Janet or find any about their parents. Being a complete newbie to this I’m at a loss to know what to do next. Is it going to be unlikely that I can go any further back? Im sorry for the long post but any help or advice anyone could give would be so appreciated. I can’t see the wood for the trees now!

Thankyou
zarasdreamz

Re: Help a newbie? William Wilson b Nov 1764 Dumfrieshire

Postby Amazinggrace » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi,
can I suggest you contact Dumfries and Galloway family History society.
They are very helpful friendly people.They can be contacted on www.dgfhs.org.uk
They have helped me enormously with my ancestors.
Good Luck
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Postby zarasdreamz » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:24 pm

Thankyou Grace I will do that.
zarasdreamz

Postby ciderdrinker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:56 am

Hello
There is a baptism at Applegarth
William Wilson 18 Nov 1764 s of William Wilson
and at Langholm

It looks like William may have been a widower when he married Janet in 1797.
Also at Applegarth
James Wilson son William 10.7.1789
Elizabeth 29 Nov 1790 d of William Wilson and Barbara Armstrong

Earlier a census for 1697 at Applegarth gives a William Wilson of the Mill House so it looks like the Mill has been in your family for a very long time.Also there is Janet Dunwoodie presumably his wife.
There are 8 Wilsons in the census David at Gockaburn ,Elizabeth at Overclough,,William and Mary (plus servant Wilson)at Lamanby ,John and Mathew at Neither Hallhill, and your William

It looks like Janet may have had a brother James who married at Applegarth 17.6.1796 to Mary Rodgerson.

Also a Will at Applgarth 1810 for a Thomas Boyes on Scottish people may be worth a look if you haven't already seen it.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby zarasdreamz » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:08 pm

Cider drinker ! Wow! Thankyou so much, you have given me a lot to think about there. You don’t know how much you have helped , I’m so so grateful. I’m going to follow some of those new leads and see what else I can find out.
zarasdreamz

Postby junkers » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:34 pm

The 1697 'census' is actually a list of examinable people for the church. As with all websites the actual images should be examined to check correctness. One of the issues with Scotland's People is how many of the registers (other than some Catholic and the established Church of Scotland) it covers. I would also look at records about Anglo-Scottish battles (including the 1715 and 1745 Jacobite wars) and disorder (at the National Records of Scotland and The National Archives at Kew) as your ancestors may have been mentioned.
junkers

Postby zarasdreamz » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Thank you junkers , I will definitely look with regard to battles. I am starting to feel like Miss Marple! :D
zarasdreamz

Postby Sue Browell » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:46 pm

Couldn't quite believe the reference to Brydekirk in your query in the latest edition of WDYTYA magazine. My Great Great Grandparents came from Brydekirk and my 3 x Great Grandparents are buried in Brydekirk

My small contribution is to look at Maxwell Ancestry. May not help you go much further back but might just provide some links to other resources. Also look at genuki U.K. and key in Dumfriesshire to see what resources/links exist. Also try the National Records of Scotland online catalogue. Key in your family names in the search box

Good luck with your research
Sue Browell

Postby zarasdreamz » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks for your help Sue, I had a little look on a public tree after doing a search on ancestry and have information and suggested names of Williams father David Wilson. I need to find some kind of record to either confirm or disregard. I’m off on another forage now into my mums grandmother from the Isle of Man !
zarasdreamz

Return to General research queries