Moderator Control Panel ]

Susan Murchie

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Susan Murchie

Postby seasalora » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:47 am

Can anyone help me locate a date of death for the above lady? Born Susan Fisher, 2 July 1865, Lancashire, she married 29 Apr 1885, Parish of Partington, Archibald Murchie. Her life from birth to the death of her husband Capt Archibald Murchie of the "Kinross shire", of heatstroke, Calcutta, in 1919, has been well recorded. There were four children to the marriage, the eldest, Archibald studied at Glasgow University and in 1919 was awarded the OBE. The second son was born at sea and the last two, girls were born in Ardrossan, Ayrshire, where the family is shown on both the 1901 and 1911 Census. After WW1 the family has been located on the Glasgow Electoral Rolls.
Susan travelled extensively with her husband and is to be found in crew lists of the "Kinross shire", occupation Stewardess, accompanied by her youngest daughter Mary, who at 8 years was listed as Assistant Stewardess.
I have been unable to find whether Susan was on the ship at the time of her husband's death, whether she may have remarried, which I doubt, or a date of death either in the name of Fisher or Murchie.
Susan is also noted in the Valuation Rolls of 1905/6 Ardrossan; 1920/21 Glasgow; 1920/21 Ardrossan Ayr (Proprietor and Widow). 1925 Rate Books Ardrossan Ayr (Mrs Susan Fisher or Murchie, Widow, Liverpool, per Chas Murchie(b-in-law); 1930/31 Valuation Roll, Ardrossan, Trustees of the late Mrs Susan Fisher or Murchie, per Chas Murchie:Valuation Roll 1935/36 Ardrossan, Trustees of the late Mrs Susan Fisher or Murchie, per Chas Murchie.

I have searched deaths, England and Scotland, Probate the same. I really do need help with this problem, and any assistance will be gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards,

seasalora
seasalora

Re: Susan Murchie

Postby elsabels » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:26 pm

The marriage was in Patrington which was East Yorkshire and not Partington which is the opposite side of the UK in Cheshire!

2nd son born 19 November 1891
Name: Archibald Murchie
Spouse: Susan Murchie
Child: John Liguria

Struggling to find Susan but found these links that you may find of interest

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... /C14653461
Kinross-shire; Official number: 102584. Archibald Murchie; rank/rating, Master

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collection ... 41076.html
http://passengersinhistory.sa.gov.au/node/929553

According to an entry Capt Archibald MURCHIE died 1 June 1919 at Presidency General Hospital,Calcutta ( other entry on the page have at sea!) he was born 1851 Isle of Arran his last recorded abode was 27 Craigmiller Road Langside Glasgow
elsabels

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:27 am

That 1925 Rate Book entry intrigues me. I'm having difficulty understanding exactly what the "per" word means but feel that it means you need to contact her via her brother in law - though whether it's him or her in Liverpool, I don't know.

It would seem, then, that she was elsewhere, and if it's him in Liverpool, she could be anywhere in the world - which accounts for the inability to find her death in the UK.

I believe that ScotlandsPeople only has wills available up to 1925, so any will sounds like it's after that date - the fact that there are trustees strongly suggests to me that there was a will somewhere that's been proven to some degree in Scotland. So maybe the Scottish archives hold it off line.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby seasalora » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Hello adrianb38
Thanks for the reply, regarding the 'per', after the name Chas Murchie, was his address, so my interpretation of this was that his address was being used regarding 'notices' or contact. I am now trying to find if a will has been lodged in Scotland.
seasalora
seasalora

Postby seasalora » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:43 pm

elsabels,
Many thanks for the reply, apologise for the typo error! Will continue looking.
seasalora

Postby elsabels » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:58 pm

Have you looked around the Hoylake / Wirral area? It appears that the sons and possibly Susie lived in the area.

What info do you have for the youngest daughter Mary?

Only reason I drew your attention to marriage place, I know both Patrington & Partington!
elsabels

Postby ianbee » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:16 am

seasalora wrote:Archibald Murchie, who married Susan Fisher, daughter of Master Mariner Walter Fisher, at Patrington, Yorkshire, June qtr, 1889.

topic12923.html
ianbee

Postby elsabels » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:35 am

That 1925 Rate Book entry intrigues me. I'm having difficulty understanding exactly what the "per" word means but feel that it means you need to contact her via her brother in law - though whether it's him or her in Liverpool, I don't know.

On the same page higher up is a listing for the brother in law Charles Murchie

'per' = by way of / through, so from this I assume that Susan is living in 1925 in Liverpool and could be under the name of Fisher or Murchie if any person needs to contact her they do it via Charles listed above!

As Susan was the proprietor of property I would have expected to find a Will / Grant of Probate. One way of searching the death indices is by birth date do you know Susan's?

PS Just spotted 2 July 1865
elsabels

Postby seasalora » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:52 pm

elsabels,
1906, District of New Ardrossan, Co of Ayr.
Mary Kerr Murchie, 02 Jan 1906 at Anderson Tce, Ardrossan. Of Archibald Murchie, Ship Master and Susan Murchie MS Fisher. (The Kerr is from her paternal grandmother)

Mary is also on the Scottish 1911 Census, age 5yrs. It appears she did not marry. UK Death Indexes, 19 Dec 1997, Mary Kerr Murchie, age 91, Kendal, Westmoreland. Probate was granted, and I have applied for a copy of the will
seasalora
seasalora

Postby ianbee » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:08 pm

Wondered when her mother died. Possibly in Hull in 1886, age 45
Burial at Hull General Cemetery, 16 Dec 1886, of Susan Fisher.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=701705
Says she was a widow (the lady in question said she was married in the 1881 census in Sculcoates). The informant was another Susan Fisher (maybe later Murchie?)
No graves registers available, but nothing in the indexes to suggest that the missing Susan was popped in with her later.

EDIT Looks like Walter Fisher died at sea, drowned, in 1884

For anyone interested
Ardrossan, registers of burials, 1874-1925, starting here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=966817

One of my favourites, Crew Lists of the British Merchant Navy – 1915
We can see the images here, i.e. the three Murchies
http://1915crewlists.rmg.co.uk/document/183885
ianbee

Next

Return to General research queries