Moderator Control Panel ]

Why adopted?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Why adopted?

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi all,I am trying to help a friend with a conundrum.
He has a relative who without a shadow of a doubt was born to known parents during the blitz in
London.Apparently according to relatives of the mother(all dead now)the mother had a very bad time having him and the father was away with the army.The family have pictures of him as a baby and toddler with various relatives.The conundrum is that his parents adopted him when he was five years old.There is no record of a birth that I can find.I'm having to be careful here as although the person in question is dead there are relatives. My question is, what reason on earth would there be for having to adopt your own child?
Thanks
Grace
Amazinggrace

Re: Why adopted?

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:24 pm

Guesses to think about:
1 The child was initially given up for adoption then readopted by the biological parents.

Variation - the child was simply looked after by others (eg was granny reared) and was then returned to their biological parents - family stories turned the return into an adoption.

2 Despite what is believed, only one of the parents was the biological parent and the later adoption by both regularised the legal parentage.

3 I've totally misunderstood what the circumstances are!

4 Take it right back to basics - how much of the story have you verified independently?

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby peter kent » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:58 am

He has a relative who without a shadow of a doubt was born to known parents during the blitz in London

There is no record of a birth that I can find

To my mind, those two statements don't sit together easily.

If there's no record of a birth, there is surely more than a shadow of doubt.

Have you searched the adoption index (not online) and obtained a certificate?
peter kent

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Thanks Adrian and Peter, I will pass those thoughts on.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Return to General research queries