Moderator Control Panel ]

Dudley family - India

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Dudley family - India

Postby RobOH » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:32 pm

I'm researching the Dudley family in India. But there's a brick wall, which is proving a huge challenge to overcome.

The problem centres on a Captain Charles Dudley b.1779 in Tipton, Staffordshire. He joined 22 Light Dragoons and was posted to India and then Java. He died in Batavia, a Captain, in 1816 (unknown causes).

A Dudley family tree from the 1950s lists him as 'ob.sep.', dying without issue. Yet the same tree has a '= Mr Salder' next to his name in place of a wife. There is an (apparent) son beneath them on the tree, John Dudley, who appears in the India records living 1812-97, dying in Poona. From the records of his children, and grandchildren, it's clear he was Anglo-Indian.

I suspect that John was the illegitimate child of Charles Dudley, by an Indian woman, and was in the care of a Mr Salder after his father's death - but I have no proof.

John's marriage certificate from FIBIS/British Library lists his father as a 'John Dudley, late Capt in HM Forces'. The surname, rank and death match - but not the first name.

I appreciate it's a complex story but any insights would be gratefully received! I'm stuck.

Many thanks,
Rob
RobOH

Re: Dudley family - India

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:05 pm

Rob - have you managed to find anything useful in the India Office records on FindMyPast? I can see 2 entries in the British India Office Wills & Probate.

First name(s) Charles
Last name Dudley
Event year 1817
Presidency Bengal
Age -
Record type Inventory
Archive reference L-AG-34-27-58
Page/folio number 857
Catalogue description Inventories & Accounts of Deceased Estates - Bengal 1780-1937
Record set British India Office Wills & Probate

First name(s) Charles
Last name Dudley
Event year 1821
Presidency Bengal
Age -
Record type Inventory
Archive reference L-AG-34-27-71
Page/folio number 2869
Catalogue description Inventories & Accounts of Deceased Estates - Bengal 1780-1937
Record set British India Office Wills & Probate

I'm guessing that these are both him because it refers at one point to Captain Charles Dudley, 22nd Regiment of Light Dragoons and it also refers to Java Rupees.

These are both Inventories / Accounts and there are a scattering of references to people, including (on page 862) the payment of 2,200 Java Rupees "Paid to his Girl Massey". Tantalising... (For comparison, "Shakespeare's Works" were valued at 20 Java Rupees)

Page 874 refers to "Costs of Obtaining Admon", which, if terminology is consistent with English practice, and it may not be, would suggest that there is no will. Certainly I can't see one in the India Office records. (Incidentally, the first Inventory is split in two - just keep going until the right pointing arrows give out. Also the 2nd played tricks on me - the right arrow wasn't giving me an image at 2 points - when I went forward again, I got an image with the next page number, so I suspect an indexing problem).
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby RobOH » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:58 pm

Great, thanks Adrian! I’d seen the inventory and accounts but hadn’t clocked the reference to his ‘girl Massey’. How intriguing! I’ll have a closer look at the full papers.

Many thanks again!

Rob
RobOH

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:43 pm

Yes, I got a lot out of another inventory of an Army surgeon in India, including references to names, so I was hoping for something similar here. Mind you, whether it goes anywhere is another matter.

Actually, it's just occurred to me - assuming that I'm not misreading the name, I wonder if Massey is the name of an illegitimate daughter? Rather than his mistress? Hmm - bit of a difference.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries