Moderator Control Panel ]

Delay in Death Registration

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Delay in Death Registration

Postby DianaCanada » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:51 pm

Wondering if anyone has any ideas about the delay in this death registration.
My great-grandfather's brother, Joseph Hibbert, d. 7 Feb 1854, Sykes Street, Hulme, Lancs. (son of William Hibbert and Mary Feay). He was four years old and died after a hand cart accidentally fell on him. William was a carter/porter but no indication if it was his handcart.
I found a burial on Ancestry for Joseph which actually prompted me to send for the death certificate, as the burial record stated he had died accidentally. He was buried 5 days after death, 12 Feb. I assumed this was due to an inquest. The death certificate was signed by the coroner, Edw. (sic) Herford. The death was not registered until 23 Mar 1854, a good six weeks after his death.
Anyone have any ideas about the reason for the delay?
I have checked the British Newspaper Archive but could not find any references under Joseph Hibbert, William Hibbert, or Edward Herford.
DianaCanada

Re: Delay in Death Registration

Postby AntonyM » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:33 pm

If the coroner was the informant then there was an inquest.

The death couldn't be registered until after the inquest reached a conclusion. Although inquests at that time would tend to be held within a few days maybe there was a delay for some reason, or maybe the coroner was just slow in sending the paperwork to the registrar.

These days, a death that goes to inquest can end up being registered many months (or occasionally years) after the event.
AntonyM

Postby elsabels » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:56 pm

My late brother died May 22 death should have been registered in q2.
His death was the subject of a coroner's inquest.
We received (Funeral director) the necessary certificate to clear for the cremation about 10 days later ( there was a Bank holiday in between) His death is registered in q3 after the Coroners Inquest in October!
elsabels

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:16 pm

Thank you both, looks like the coroner was slow filing his report is the most likely reason.
DianaCanada

Return to General research queries