Moderator Control Panel ]

Looking for info on my Great Grandmother, Minnie Price

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Looking for info on my Great Grandmother, Minnie Price

Postby nikkix2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:17 pm

Hello, I live in Canada and my Grandmother who is 93, is looking for information on where her or who her parents were before she dies.

My Grandmother's Name is Elizabeth Madeline (Hoare) Brown, she was born in Newmarket, ON, Canada.

Her mother was a orphan named Minnie Price.
This is the information I have been able to locate:

She was born in the year 1882. She was a orphan, and was a ward at the Edmonton Workhouse/Chase farm school.
She left Liverpool on May 22 1890 on the Ship the Sardinian with Maria Rye Homes and arrived in Montreal Quebec on June 1st, 1890.The ship records have her being at that time at the age of 9yrs. She ended up being placed in a home in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada.
She died in 1964 in Newmarket.
I'm looking to find out who her parents were and how they died and if she had any other siblings.

If anyone could help I would appreciate it very much.
Thank you,
Nicole Brown
nikkix2

Re: Looking for info on my Great Grandmother, Minnie Price

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:39 pm

I do not know if you have seen this site - if not it is very useful - workhouses.org.uk . I found the Edmonton Workhouse/Chase Farm School has a long entry. Near to the end, I found a section about young orphans being found placements. Minnie is mentioned in that section. I also saw, whilst hunting about, that Ancestry has the records for Edmonton in its collection. You could also try the National Archives site as some records are held there. Hope those links are useful to you.

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
brunes08

Postby nikkix2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Thank you,

Yes, I have found that website is very helpful in the past, but now i've hit a road block. I will go back there and try again!

Thanks again for your help!

Nicole
nikkix2

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:52 pm

Out of interest, did you spot 6 year Thomas Price on the same passenger list as Minnie? Could this be her brother, and Elizabeth 9 and Emma 11 on following page
Mick Loney

Postby ianbee » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:25 pm

Mick Loney wrote:did you spot 6 year Thomas Price on the same passenger list as Minnie?

Sue also spotted him.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/local ... 54/mb.ashx

He isn't in the Edmonton list flagged up by brunes though (wonderful find)
Julie pointed out the difficulties faced by the OP here. No reply.

Minnie's marriage in Canada in 1904
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZ1M-Z6G
ianbee

Postby phsvm » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:58 pm

Maybe I'm being too simplistic but my first thought was to look for a birth registration for Minnie.

I found 5 birth registrations for Minnie Price in 1882 of which only one was in London (Fulham) so could possibly be the correct Minnie. By a stroke of good luck her middle name is very unusual - Quinton.

Searching for any other births with the name Quinton comes up with William Quinton Price in 1876 in Fulham.

I've only had a quick look but I couldn't find either or them on any census returns (although William should be somewhere in 1881) or marriage or death records for them. This may be simply because the Quinton has been left off later records but it could also indicate that they weren't in the UK for any further records. I think I'd investigate these two a bit to see if that led me anywhere.
phsvm

Postby ianbee » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:32 pm

But Minnie Quinton Price was looked at on last week's thread and apparently eliminated by Julie?
ianbee

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:19 pm

phsvm wrote:Maybe I'm being too simplistic but my first thought was to look for a birth registration for Minnie.

I found 5 birth registrations for Minnie Price in 1882 of which only one was in London (Fulham) so could possibly be the correct Minnie. By a stroke of good luck her middle name is very unusual - Quinton.

Sadly, 1882 doesn’t quite match with age shown on the passenger list, which is shown as 9 in 1890, making her birth around 1880-1881. A quick search on FreeBMD also throws up Minnie 1880 in Chelsea, Minnie Florence 1880 in Bethnal Green and a Minnie 1881 in West Ham!
We’d could check GRO to find mothers maiden names, and see if her parents are also parents of the other Price children on the passenger list.
If we find Emma is related, being born around 1879, she may be around for the 1881 census (hopefully with her parents) enabling us to find where her parents came from!
Mick Loney

Postby nikkix2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 pm

Thank you so much guys,,,,I'm trying to look into all your info,,,but with working and it being a long holiday weekend, I am only going to have a few hours in the day to do that.
Thank you so, so much for sending me in a new direction!!!

Nicole
nikkix2

Postby mouthfulofbees » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi,
I'm not sure if you've checked this yet, but just so you can rule it out--Minnie's marriage record does not give her parents' names, so evidently she didn't know who her parents were, either. The marriage (with original document attached) is on familysearch.org:

Name: Frederick Charles Hoare
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 12 Oct 1904
Event Place: Newmarket, York, Ontario, Canada
Birth Year (Estimated): 1881
Father's Name: George Hoare
Mother's Name: Fanny Marsh
Spouse's Name: Minnie Price
Spouse's Gender: Female
Spouse's Age: 22
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1882
Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Reference ID: 020547
GS Film Number: 1871545
Digital Folder Number: 004529289
Image Number: 01118
Citing this Record:
"Ontario Marriages, 1869-1927," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZ1M-Z6G : 11 March 2018), Frederick Charles Hoare and Minnie Price, 12 Oct 1904; citing registration , Newmarket, York, Ontario, Canada, Archives of Ontario, Toronto; FHL microfilm 1,871,545.
mouthfulofbees

Next

Return to General research queries