Moderator Control Panel ]

Looking for info on my Great Grandmother, Minnie Price

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Looking for info on my Great Grandmother, Minnie Price

Postby ianbee » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:10 pm

mouthfulofbees wrote: The marriage (with original document attached) is on familysearch.org:

Yes that's right, I have already given the link to it!
ianbee wrote:Minnie's marriage in Canada in 1904
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZ1M-Z6G

Transcribed here as Marania (will this work?)
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/ ... p?id=85052
ianbee

Postby sparrow » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:26 am

I had hopes for the West Ham birth (4th quarter 1891) which as noted would make her 9 at the time she left England.
But unfortunately no: GRO has mother's name as NIX and that family (David and Eliza Price) appear on the 1901 Census.
I think the lead that a Minnie Price spent one day in the Edmonton Workhouse in 1893 at the age of 2 is more promising, especially given that a later set of records is missing. A family in difficulty often had several workhouse admissions over a decade or so, so a 'release' does not tell us much about what happened next, just that on that particular night there was no one to care for her.
Likewise the fact that she was in the workhouse for a longer period, and there believing she was an orphan does not prove she was.A case I looked at recently in a mystery DNA match (child believed herself an orphan and appeared to have been taken in by non relatives) showed both parents as recorded on the birth certificate lived for at least another decade, probably in extreme poverty with a large family. Still a mystery in other respects as the person (no longer alive) believed she knew her birthdate but also as noted believed herself an orphan.
sparrow

Postby MayHam » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:22 am

Did a search for Emma Prices in the GRO indexes comparing them to the 1891 census of England.
There was only one that I can't find. She was the daughter of Frederick William & Emma Chatterton (Green) Price.

"Margaret Emma" was baptised 21 Jan 1877, Hornsey St Mary, Haringey, England but her birth registration just lists "Margaret."
https://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse. ... ource=7572

PRICE, MARGARET    
GREEN  
GRO Reference: 1876  D Quarter in EDMONTON  Volume 03A  Page 203

In the 1881 Hornsey, Edmonton, England census she is "Margrite Emma."
Her siblings are:

PRICE, HARRY  CHATTERTON  
GREEN  
GRO Reference: 1867  D Quarter in ISLINGTON  Volume 01B  Page 340

PRICE, MARY  GERTRUDE  
GREEN  
GRO Reference: 1869  M Quarter in HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 403

PRICE, LUCY  PYM  
GREEN  
GRO Reference: 1870  J Quarter in HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 393

PRICE, HILTON  CECIL  
GREEN  
GRO Reference: 1871  S Quarter in HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 383

PRICE, BEATRICE  HELEN  
GREEN  
GRO Reference: 1873  J Quarter in HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 401

PRICE, BEATRICE  HELEN  
GRO Reference: 1874  M Quarter in HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 268

Her father dies in 1888
PRICE, FREDERICK  WILLIAM  
GRO Reference: 1888  M Quarter in ST GILES  Volume 01B  Page 432

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966, 1973-1995
Name:
Frederick William Price
Death Date:
31 Jan 1888
Death Place:
London, England
Probate Date:
8 Mar 1888
Registry:
Principal Registry
https://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse. ... ource=7619

Name:Emma C Price
Relationship:Head
Birth Year:1835
Child:Mary G Price 
Lucy P Price 
Hilton Price
Birth Place:Handsworth, Staffordshire, England
Civil Parish:Fulham
Residence Place:Fulham, London, England
Sub registration district:Fulham
ED, Institution or Vessel:4
Neighbors:View others on page
Piece:45
Folio:96
Household Members:
Name
Mary G Price
Lucy P Price
Hilton Price
Ellen T Manger
Elizabeth Johnson
Annie Larcombe
Bertha Vaughan
https://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse. ... ource=1904

Her mother dies in 1910.
England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966, 1973-1995
Name:
Emma Chatterton Price
Death Date:
7 Aug 1910
Death Place:
Surrey, England
Probate Date:
1 Sep 1910
Registry:
London, England
https://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse. ... &ml_rpos=1

I'm disappointed I couldn't find a registration for Minnie, Elizabeth, or Thomas.
So, am not 100% sure this is the right family.
MayHam

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:56 am

Just thought I would add this to eliminate her: born Jun Q 1882, Ethel Minnie Price, Stepney district, but found on the 1891 with her parents Charles and Georgina (Morgan) Price.
DianaCanada

Postby sparrow » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:13 am

A thought that it might be worth trying to trace the other Price children at the Canadian end.If they were indeed Minnie's siblings they might have been placed in the same home?
sparrow

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:02 am

For what it's worth, I've found a Thomas William Price who died in Oshawa, Ontario (not that far from Newmarket in Canadian terms) in May, 1934. He was born in England, father Thomas W. Price, mother unknown, both b. England.
He had been in Canada for 43 years, so pretty close.
Tracking down an obit might be useful.
No other death in ON that is that close, and no WW1 soldier that fits.
DianaCanada

Postby ianbee » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:09 pm

Finding some of the children on that voyage that I could pin down in the 1891 Canadian census, they seem to have been "adopted" one way or another.
Emma and Elizabeth Price, listed together on the passenger list, may be siblings. Possibly from South Wales? Guessing here, and going on this potential marriage in Ontario for Emma to Robert Combs
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZBD-72Q

Parents Edwin and Mary (nee Morgan, likely birth reg says Morgans)
She did have a younger sister Elizabeth, who was 6 months old in the 1881 census, living in Swansea. That would make her 9 for the voyage to Canada. Did the parents Edwin and Mary Jane die in Swansea in 1885 and 1883 respectively? The ages fit!

I would imagine that Minnie Price being on the same voyage is probably coincidence, she was the only one of the four Prices to have been in the care of a Board of Guardians.
Seems the children came from all over the country, not just London.

By the way, there is free access to the Canadian census on ancestry.ca until 2 July!
ianbee

Postby avaline » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:58 pm

Did you contact London Metropolitan Archives as suggested by Julie?

"London Metropolitan Archives has the records for Chase Farm School, including the Register of Children Admitted & Discharged and the Religious Creed Register, both from 1887 onwards, plus, I think, the Guardian's Minutes. I'm not sure whether they provide a research/copying service, but you could always email & ask: ask.lma@cityoflondon.gov.uk"

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/local ... 54/mb.ashx
avaline

Postby sparrow » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:20 am

If we have collectively failed to link Minnie with any of the Minnie Price births in London during the right time frame it does raise the possibility that she was born elsewhere.
I agree that Emma and Elizabeth seem likely to be siblings (presumably a ticket equates to a cabin) and unrelated to Minnie.Thomas however may be worth following up especially if he can be identified in Canada.Worth noting that the one found by Diana indicates "mother unknown"' which just possibly indicates a scenario where a widowed father tries to raise a son while resorting to putting his daughter in the workhouse.
I do note that in the Edmonton Workhouse in 1881 there is a widowed former domestic servant from Brecknock (Brecon, S.Wales) called Ann Price b.c.1810. Have not yet had much luck tracing her before or after 1881.It's a really long shot I know but could she be Minnie's grandmother?
sparrow

Postby sparrow » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:23 am

I note several admissions of an adult Thomas Price b.c.1846 to the Edmonton Workhouse in the 1880s.
Ironically I cannot find Ann's admission.
Also worth noting that Minnie herself does not appear in 'London England School Admissions and Discharges' which would support her having entered a workhouse and associated school in infancy.
There are a few possibilities for a 'Thomas son of Thomas' but no obvious ones yet.
sparrow

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries