Moderator Control Panel ]

William Avent & Ann Nearn married in 1807 and again in 1826

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

William Avent & Ann Nearn married in 1807 and again in 1826

Postby Beverley Stephens » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:14 am

William Avent was married to Ann Nearne at St Dionis Backchurch, London on 10 Aug 1807 they were both widowed.

They married for a second time on 27 Mar 1826 at St Luke’s Church,Finsbury.

For a long time, I thought that this was a different couple, despite the signatures being very similar but then I got a copy of William’s Will which said “…bequeath unto my daughter Mary Ann by my late wife Ann Nearne to whom I was twice married….”

Obviously, I don’t know why they married a second time but William’s Will may give a clue it reads “…my said daughter is so made and is intended to be received and held by her absolutely notwithstanding any question which may arise as to her legitimacy from my first marriage with said late wife…”. Perhaps one or other of the couple were not actually widowed at the time of their first marriage.

William had two sons, James (born 17 May 1799) and William (baptized May 1801), their mother was called Ann. In the Will they were only mentioned once "I give and bequeath unto my sons James and William each the sum of one guinea for a ring". I assume that they were not Ann Nearne's children, but I may be wrong.

I would like to find out who William and Ann Nearne were both married to before.

Any guidance as to where to start looking would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Bev
Beverley Stephens

Re: William Avent & Ann Nearn married in 1807 and again in 1

Postby sdup26 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:48 pm

You may want to consider a marriage listed on Find my Past: St Margaret Westminster 1797, William Avent, bachelor, to Ann Bell, spinster, witnesses James Bell and Ellen Birtett(? hard to read) The year would fit with the birth of two sons in 1799 & 1801, but so far, I haven't found a likely death for Ann nee Bell.
sdup26

Re: William Avent & Ann Nearn married in 1807 and again in 1

Postby Beverley Stephens » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:12 am

Thank you so much for this info, I will follow it up.
Beverley Stephens

Return to General research queries