Moderator Control Panel ]

Dating Carte de visite

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Dating Carte de visite

Postby nrtaylor » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:23 pm

For some time I have been trying to date a photograph (and assess the age of the gentleman). So far all the indications are that it is much earlier than I was hoping it would be therefore disproving my theory that it is my grandfather.

So I would appreciate any opinions at all. [font=arial][size=2]The card is 63mm by 104mm about 2mm thick and the picture 57mm by 90mm. The paper pasted on the card is very thin and not photographic paper as I know it. It is hard to say whether the corners are square and slightly rounded with wear or were originally round. The mounting card is green and serrated/deckled (?). The back is blank green card. The inscription on the scroll at the foot is WITH CHRISTMAS GREETINGS.[/size][/font]

[image]local://104/0CFA5BF679E44416A71E4897C074D306.jpg[/image]
nrtaylor

RE: Dating Carte de visite

Postby eurogordi » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:50 pm

I have a similar photo, albeit without the seasonal greeting, of my grandmother. The style of photography, size and pose are very similar to your gentleman. I know with virtual certainty that my grandmother's photograph was taken around 1895, so I would guess that your photo is probably a similar age.
eurogordi

Return to Photo identification