Moderator Control Panel ]

Dunham of Lincolnshire

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Dunham of Lincolnshire

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:07 am

Charles Jesney married his step sister Elizabeth Dunham in the June Quarter of 1898 registered Horncastle. In 1908 they sailed to Canada and settled in Edmonton. They did not have any children and Charles was killed in WW1.

Surprisingly Elizabeth stayed in Canada and died there and is buried in Edmonton. I have never worked out why she did not come back to England after Charles died.

In 1918 Alfred Bell was with them having travelled from England. I am thinking that he was a relative, as Charles's grandmother Charlotte Jesney's maiden name was Bell.

Any information on any of these people would be welcomed.
KayFarndon

Re: Dunham of Lincolnshire

Postby ciderdrinker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:56 am

Hello
Just to add a few more details,
The couple married 17.5.1898 at West Torrington ,Charles was 27 so born 1871/2 son of Sarah Jane Jesney ,latter May(marriage 1874) latter Dunham (marriage 1899) ,Elizabeth Dunham was 28 d of Thomas Dunham and Fanny Traves.
Sarah Jane Jesney is born 1849 Theddlethorpe d of Edward Jesney and Charlotte Bell.

It looks like Charlotte was baptised at Skidbrooke cum Saltfleet Haven 17.7.1810 d of Frances Bell as Charlotte Dawson Bell.
Alfred Bell was born 1891 in England and arrived in Canada 1914 as is with them on the 1916 census
at Strathcona Alberta at Shorn cliffe labourer.
In 1921 census he is still with Elizabeth Jesney nee Dunham and described as nephew immigration 1904 for both of them .He is a labourer.

Elizabeth's sister Emma married a John Henry Bell at Louth Sept qtr 1888 and had a son Alfred Ernest Bell June qtr 1891 Louth.
Alfred joined up in Canada 12.7.1915 given his profession as painter birth as 12April 1891 ,next of Kin Henry Bell

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby KayFarndon » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:31 pm

Thank you ciderdrinker for the Alfred Bell information, I had not got the last bit.
KayFarndon

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:43 pm

Kay, Perhaps Elizabeth did not return because she could not afford to. I believe British immigrants paid bargain fares to get over here but probably full price to go back. And that is a heck of a long trip to get back to England from Alberta...maybe she hated travelling. Or maybe she fell in love with those bone-chilling Edmonton winters!
Seriously, though, did she have a job after her husband died? There might have been a love interest keeping her in Alberta too, even if they never married. I have a similar situation in my family, but the widow did remarry here.
DianaCanada

Return to General research queries