Moderator Control Panel ]

William Wigley Smith

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

William Wigley Smith

Postby geninut » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:52 am

I am giving this one more try here before I resort to ebay.
I am trying to find descendants of William because I have 2 huge bibles that were given to him by his grandmother, Mary Ann Smith, on March 1st 1852.
I have searched for a birth at this date and not found anything so it could have been his 21st birthday.
I have no idea.
They were in the possession of my aunt and we have no idea why. They are not connected to our family.
Any help would be appreciated.
Carol
geninut

Re: William Wigley Smith

Postby meekhcs » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:52 am

An unusual middle name MAY help you put together his line.
A William Wigley Smith was born in 1842 in the Newport Pragnell Registration District the GRO ref is 1842 Q1 Newport Pagnell 6, 395.
Next there is a marriage between William and Elizabeth Long Bray which took place on 16 Sept 1868 at St Pancras in London. I found both these details on FMP
So perhaps the Bible was a 10th birthday present.
Finally, from Ancestry, there is a burial record for William at Ealing and Old Brentford Cemetery on 28 Nov 1911 Cemetery Section: Ground F Divison Grave Number: 11 interment Number: 226, and one for his wife Elizabeth 28th Nov 1918.
A search of the census records and the GRO birth records will hopefully produce any children and you can work it forward from there. It will be difficult because of the name Smith,but if the second name of Wigley is carried forward OR a child is given the second name of Bray, after their Mother, that will help.
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:09 am

Ancestry has the full record of the marriage William, a batchelor, was a resident of Lewisham and was a grocer. His Father was also called William and was a clerk at the GPO
Elizabeth was a spinster, no prefession, she resided at Bayham St and her Father was Charles Elverton Long Bray deceased. Bayham St runs parallel to Camden High St in the St Pancras area of London
meekhcs

Postby geninut » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:25 pm

Thank you both for your help.
I guess I should have elaborated more.
I have done a tree and found these people but the GRO site gives the Newport Bagnell William's mother name as Negus. I have his parents as William & Dinah Green. If, I have the right William. This would give him a grandmother called Mary Ann Smith.
I cannot believe that there is no-one from his future that is researching him and recognises the name as it is so unusual.
None of them have a second name of Bray so no clues there.
I was sure it would be easy to track someone down with that name.
Many thanks
Carol
geninut

Postby meekhcs » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:32 pm

No a birth registration for a William Smith in the same Quarter and same year in Newport Pagnell had a mother with maiden name Negus. William Wigley's mother's maiden name was Green according to the GRO. So William Green and Dinah Green was correct for his parents, marrying in London in1841. William Wigley's grandparents were William Smith and Mary Ann Wigley who married in 1816 in London, so that proves you are looking at the correct Family.
So, as I said before, it is a case of taking William Wigley's children and working forward.
meekhcs

Postby geninut » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:36 pm

Thank you very much, it's good to know I was on the right track.
I'll have another look.
Kind regards
Carol
geninut

Postby JMcK » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Here they are as indexed on Ancestry in 1901. But it’s wigley on the form I’m sure.
Piece: 1592
Folio: 127
Page Number: 7
Household schedule number: 34

William Wyley Smith 56
Elizabeth Long Smith 54
William Alf Smith 30
Jessie Maud Smith 27
Sidney Ernest Smith 24
Mabel Edith Smith 19
Amy Ethel Smith 17
Edgar Hubert Smith 15

In 1911
William Alfred is William Alfred Wigley-Smith
district: West Ham
Registration District Number: 188
Sub-registration district: Walthamstow
ED, institution, or vessel: 38
Household schedule number: 139
Piece: 9712

William Alfred Wigley Smith 40. (Rest of family indexed as Smith, but all should be Wigley-Smith
Ethel Florence Maud Smith 32
William Charles Smith 7
Eric Douglas Smith 5
Sidney Herbert Smith 4
Jessie Beatrice Smith 3
Phyllis Ethel Smith 1
William Smith

And in the newspapers in 1977 there is a police constable in Birmingham named William Wigley-Smith
JMcK

Postby JMcK » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:35 pm

Of that family in 1939
Ethel, William Charles, Eric Douglas and an extra Wallace Desmond (born 1913] are all in Bromsgrove Worcestershire. All as Wigley-Smith. This might be the family the Birmingham policeman comes from?
JMcK

Postby JMcK » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Eric and Wallace both married 1944 and 1951 respectively.
I can see 2 sons of Eric.
One (who might be the policeman) died in 2015 but the other, born in 1947 looks as though still around.
https://www.192.com/atoz/people/surname ... -smith/50/
JMcK

Postby geninut » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:50 am

Thank you all very much for your help.
I have now located a descendant and we hope to meet soon for me to give him the books.
I am so pleased, thanks again
Kind regards
Carol
geninut

Next

Return to General research queries