Moderator Control Panel ]

What happened to George Henry Crane?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

What happened to George Henry Crane?

Postby phsvm » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:36 pm

George Henry Crane was born in Chilton (Wantage Reg Dist) in 1883. His birth is registered in the Dec Q. Parents are Joseph and Eliza Crane and the family are living in Chilton.

The 1891 census - wrongly transcribed on Ancestry as the surname HATTO, correctly transcribed on FMP - are altogether in Chilton and George is still with the family in 1901. By 1911 hIs widowed mother and some of his siblings are still in Chilton and Eliza has married William Butler but George in no where to be seen.

I've been unable to trace George at all after the 1901 census. He is listed on a Roll of Honour in our church as having fought in WW1 so I know he must have been alive until at least 1918 and that he enlisted. There are numerous Medal Index Cards for soldiers called George Crane but none of them seem to fit. I would have expected, although obviously can't be certain, that he would have joined either the Berkshires or the Oxon and Bucks Light Infantry.

He is not the George Crane in Challow. Nor is he the George Henry in Worchestershire nor the one who died in Dorset. He's not the George who married Agnes in 1907. None of the George Cranes on the 1939 Register appear to be him. I can't find a death registration nor have I found anyone that might be him on a passenger list.

Can any one make any progress in tracking him down?
phsvm

Re: What happened to George Henry Crane?

Postby ColinB » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:36 pm

I think this is he :

G H Crane
age 30yrs 4ms
birthplace: Chilton , Berkshire
attestation 3 Mar 1915
attestation place : Kingston, Surrey
unit/regiment : Army Service Corps
Remarks : Epsom Downs, Surrey
Notes : spine of Register indicates it lists those who volunteered for General Service for duration of the war only.
Surrey Recruitment Registers 1908-1933 ( transcripts on fmp )

Note : no service number is given in this record.
ColinB

Postby ColinB » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:07 pm

1911 census:

RG14; Piece: 2957; Schedule Number: 122

George Crane 27 single boarder stable helper born Chelton, Surrey,
2 Laurel Cottages , Burgh Heath Road, Epsom
ColinB

Postby phsvm » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Many thanks ColinB.

This looks like him as Chilton is a racing village so moving to another area of racing would seem right.
phsvm

Postby woodchal » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:49 pm

The census says he was a boarder, so it doesn't necessarily means he was living there permanently - he may have just gone to look after horses from Chiltern that were racing at Epsom over those days
woodchal

Postby phsvm » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:54 pm

I'm still unable to trace George on the 1939 Register or a death for him. Can any one work their magic on these?
phsvm

Postby phsvm » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:56 pm

I take your point Woodchal but he then enlisted in Kingston so if he was only 'visiting' the area it would seem unlikely that he went all the way back to Surrey to enlist.
phsvm

Postby woodchal » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 am

I just mentioned my point to emphasise that the census is only a snap shot on one night. The Kingston sign-up could be yet another quirk - many of the new units were 'Pals' battalions, these units allowed friends, workmates or those with some other common bond - like sporting success - to fight together.

It would have been possible for him to have decided to join up with his pals/work mates from the racing fraternity.

I agree that on balance he probably was living nearer to Epsom/Kingston, but it is not 100% certain - all things are possible.
woodchal

Return to General research queries