Moderator Control Panel ]

Grandmother's birth help.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Grandmother's birth help.

Postby Liamcornes1983 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi all, I am trying to find my Great Grandmother Alice May Brown born 2 May 1899, to no avail her family came from Hackney, London, her father William Henry Brown was a french Polisher, and Alice followed in his footsteps. I can find her from 1901 onwards til her death, but unable to find her birth. Some family members say, her mother's maiden name was ram, others say Tewson /Tuson /Toussaint, I managed to find her siblings births but not hers.
Can anyone help?

Regards

Liam
Liamcornes1983

Re: Grandmother's birth help.

Postby meekhcs » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:09 pm

This is the birth record
BROWN, ALICE MAY RAM (Mothers maiden name)
GRO Reference: 1899 J Quarter in HACKNEY Volume 01B Page 554

You can purchase this through the General Register Office as a pdf for £6 https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/cert ... search.asp This is the website. You would need to create an account then you can place an order.
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:07 pm

Having looked at this further the siblings of Alice are registered with the Mother's maiden name as Tewson.
In addition William appears to have married Alice Eliza Tewson in 1898 in Poplar Q4 1c, 1183.

So I would still purchase the birth record I metioned in my previous post. It is possible that an error occurred in registration/transcription and although the Mother's maiden name is recorded as Ram it will turn out to be Tewson
meekhcs

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:00 pm

I’ve encountered similar problems before, when the child’s mother herself was illegimate! If Alice’s mothers was illegitimate, she may have been given her mother’s surname, but adopted her step-fathers surname when her mother married. She may have then used her ‘illegimate’ name of Brown for her first child Alice, then reverted to her mother’s married ‘Tewson’ surname for subsequent children.
Checked Alice’s mothers background, was she christened Brown or Tewson? Was her mother ( Alice’s grandmother) married or not when Alice’s mother was born/christened?
There’s usually a good/explainable reason for surname changes, not just transcription errors.
I suggest you first look at her mother, and see what was her ‘true’ maiden name?
Mick Loney

Postby Georgina S » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:58 am

Nearly all my female ancestors with two surnames are remarried, sometimes they use their maiden name and sometimes their first married name when they remarry, causing confusion for us.
Georgina S

Return to General research queries