Moderator Control Panel ]

Richard Woolgar

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Richard Woolgar

Postby paulr1949 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:39 am

SDV wrote:Very interesting. The major problem is that he married Fanny THOMPSON in November 1873 and they had a son in 1876.

If the Thomas in Brighton in 1901 is my Richard, then Fanny from Shoreditch must have died and Richard must have married Emma from Salisbury. All very possible, except I can't find any supporting records.

Richard was definitely born in Keymer, though some of the baptism records give Itchingfield as a residence for the family.

Itchingfield is quite close to Steyning

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby SDV » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:15 pm

elsabels

Thank you very much for all of this. Whilst I did indeed know some of this thanks to my own searches and the work of ianbee, much of this is new.

I am especially fascinated by the sad story of Fanny's twins.

I really need to find out what happened to both Richard and Fanny. Ianbee thinks Richard ended up in Brighton, but it is difficult to prove. There is also the interesting snippet that he was in prison when his two sons were put in the workhouse. It would be nice to track this down.

As for Fanny, the poor woman - who lost three children in one year - seems to have been deserted by Richard. At present I have no idea what happened to her.

So still much to find.
SDV

Postby elsabels » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:16 pm

Name: Fanny Woolgar
Admission Age: 27
Record Type: Admission
Birth Date: 1851
Admission Date: 5 Jul 1878
Admission Place: Hackney, Hackney, London, England

It looks as if Richard deserted her?

Name: Fanny Woolgar
Record Type: Discharge
Discharge Date: 18 Jul 1878
Discharge Place: Hackney, Hackney, London, England
elsabels

Postby elsabels » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:30 pm

This looks like him in the electors register
Name: Richard Woolgar
Year: 1890
County or Borough: Hackney
Ward or Division/Constituency: Hackney North
Street address: 12 Perch-street

Name: Richard Woolgar
Year: 1913
County or Borough: Hackney
Ward or Division/Constituency: Hackney North
Street address: 7 Shacklewell row
elsabels

Postby ianbee » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:20 pm

SDV wrote:If the Thomas in Brighton in 1901 is my Richard, then Fanny from Shoreditch must have died and Richard must have married Emma from Salisbury.

Not necessarily. It only means that Richard (if it is him) was living with Emma in 1901, and claiming to be married in the census return.

elsabels wrote:This looks like him in the electors register

He has the same name. It is not the correct Richard.
ianbee

Postby SDV » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:55 pm

I now have the death certificate for the Thomas Richard WOOLGAR, who died aged 67 on the 23 Nov 1908 at 5 Hanover Street, Brighton. He died of apoplexy and was a railway labourer. The informant was his son T R Woolgar, who lived at 42 Arnold Street, Brighton.

So it looks as if this could have been our man. Any suggestions about how to go about further confirmation?
SDV

Postby ianbee » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:32 pm

It seems promising. Unfortunately in the 1911 census 42 Arnold Street is marked up as uninhabited.
Thomas Richard Woolgar born Hackney is still living in Brighton though.
Attaching the 1908 electoral register.
Attachments
Arnold Street Brighton 1908.JPG
Arnold Street Brighton 1908.JPG (44.38 KiB) Viewed 670 times
ianbee

Postby SDV » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:51 pm

Well the person in the 1908 electoral register is clearly the informant and the son of the Thomas Richard WOOLGAR who died in 1908.

Clearly Thomas Richard Junior didn't spend much of his childhood with his father for one reason or another, so perhaps he was unclear about the extent and the order of his father's names. Being the informant he would have been the one to confirm his father's name. He was present at the death.

A long shot, but I wonder if there is a report in the local paper, which I seem to recall from my University days in Sussex was the Evening Argus.
SDV

Previous

Return to General research queries