Moderator Control Panel ]

Military Identification

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Military Identification

Postby Kevin Standage » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:20 am

Can anyone help identify this uniform ? The photographer studio was in Eton.

Thanks,
Kevin.
Attachments
Photographer, Jills and Saunders, Eton.jpg
Photographer, Jills and Saunders, Eton.jpg (94.01 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Kevin Standage

Re: Military Identification

Postby JMcK » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:00 pm

I’m a total ignoramous on military matters but..the helmet on the left of the image has feathers and he has a double breasted jacket with those scroll details so I think he is from a cavalry regiment. I thought lancers but wouldn’t the lance be in the photograph?
JMcK

Postby Kenthemusketeer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:17 am

I don't believe the uniform was double-breasted. If you look at the skirts of the coat, they don't overlap. I suspect the key to this lies in the badge on the front of the cross-belt. If you have enough detail in the original, you might be able to define the regiment from that.
Kenthemusketeer

Postby Jethro Tull » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:06 am

Hi Kevin,

The badge in the centre is very similar to one of the light infantry badges, there are several it could be. It could be though the uniform of the Baluch Light Infantry

https://goo.gl/images/q3bbGX

This is only a possibility though as there are lots of similar uniforms and regiments. Perhaps share this query on the Victorian Wars Forum where there may be a few experts to help.

Cheers

Dan.
Jethro Tull

Return to Photo identification