Moderator Control Panel ]

STRANGE LETTERS ON BURIAL ENTRIES

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

STRANGE LETTERS ON BURIAL ENTRIES

Postby nuttree » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:13 pm

looking at the register on Find My Past for ASHREIGNEY Devon I notice several entries but not all have F.S and or M alongside the entries. i did wonder if it was where they lived but I can't find any nearby hamlets starting with F.S or M. Full service or memorial service could the memorial be a short service and indicate a tendency towards non conformism and not wanting a full church ceremony? At least one of John Parkinson's children was a Bible Christian. But that is questionable with the entry with F.S and M did the widow have a memorial service and funeral?? its very puzzling
I was particularly looking for John Parkhouse buried 1806 he has a feint M
Can anyone explain what the F.S. and M stand for
(This time it definitely isn't female servant some are for males!)
I did wonder if it was where they lived but I can't find any nearby hamlets starting with F.S or M.
Could it be Full Service or Memorial could the memorial be a short service and indicate a tendency towards non conformism and not wanting a full church ceremony? At least one of John Parkinson's children was a Bible Christian. But that is questionable with the entry with F.S and M did the widow have a memorial service and funeral?? its very puzzling can anyone suggest a meaning for this.
Last edited by nuttree on Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
nuttree

Re: STRANGE LETTERS ON BURIAL ENTRIES

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Hi there,

Having looked at the records, I suspect that F.S means Funeral Service, and M., as you suggest, means Memorial (ie gravestone).

Regards,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby nuttree » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:51 pm

thanks for looking but if it is funeral service why aren't there more entries marked this way ?
I thought MEMORIAL would be a short service rather than a full ceremomial service surely a head stone would not be put straight up? :?
Last edited by nuttree on Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
nuttree

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:36 pm

How about this as a theory...

The whole entry means that the person was buried here on the date in question.

M, for Gravestone Memorial, would be added later to signify the erection of a gravestone on the grave. (Or it could be added immediately in the case of a burial in a plot that already had a stone.)

FS for Funeral Service would denote that the funeral was at this church rather than elsewhere in another non-conformist chapel (for instance). Your concerns about the relative lack of FS might simply suggest a large degree of non conformism in the area.

That's my best guess.... It does at least give a meaning to the FS & M entries. The problem is that many of these codes were meaningful only to the guy who wrote them in.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:43 pm

I agree with Adrian. North Devon does have a high level of non conformity - I know as I live here, not very far from Ashreigney, as the crow flies!

The other point is that country parishes can have a surprisingly small number of Baptisms, Marriages or Burials in any particular year; some years they may even have none of one or more of these services. So if there are quite a lot of burials, it is plausible that some of them are the non conformists from the area. And in that case, marking those individuals that had a funeral would make sense. And the area is not rich, and never has been, so it is also entirely possible that only a fraction could afford a proper stone.

The other point to remember is that many ministers were idle, and one cannot assume that they recorded everything in full, every time. I have found lots of inaccuracies and omissions on family members' entries in Parish Records, in a number of parishes across the country, over time. So it is possible that some of the names that are not annotated with FS or M, perhaps should have been.

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby nuttree » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:45 am

Thank you both that is interesting so thanks to this particular record. we can deduce if the deceased was a non conformist and add an extra piece to the family story. Judging by the number (only 13 of the 53 entries have these marks including the burial of the PARISH CLERK surely he was A Church man!) It seems a huge proportion of non conformists,it suggests a charismatic preacher was working in the area. We know that large numbers in the area were converting to become Bible Christians, many of which emegrated. So in a way was I thinking on the right track all along. Now how do I interperate John PARKHOUSE he has only got an M. So was he laid in a family grave already sporting a stone but was now non conformist , or was his stone added to his non conformist grave?
Oh how I'd like to find that stone and see what the inscription says. I know he was described as a yeoman
Its a pity more registers were not so helpful
Many thanks for your help
nuttree

Return to General research queries