Moderator Control Panel ]

Do these Yorkshire Brooks join up?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Do these Yorkshire Brooks join up?

Postby JaneyH » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:53 pm

I've spent a good few hours trying to link the tree of a DNA match to my family tree. There are tantalising possibilities, but so far I haven't quite had the breakthrough.

One particular branch of my tree is the ENTWISTLE family of Huddersfield in West Yorkshire, which includes my 2x great-grandmother, Mary Jane Entwistle (1839-1909). Her brother Thomas Entwistle (b.1831) married Mary BROOK (b.1834) in January 1855 in Huddersfield. Sister Harriet Entwistle (b.1832) married James BROOK (b.1831) in May 1851 in Huddersfield. James and Mary Brook are brother and sister, so this is a case of two siblings marrying two siblings. James and Mary's parents were Joseph and Elizabeth Brook. The 1851/61/71 Censuses show that he was a weaver, and this tallies with the father's occupation given in the marriage register for both children. Additionally there are also sisters Alice and Rebecca Brook, both born c.1838. Joseph Brook was born in 1801-04 depending on which Census you look at, and either in Hepworth or Kirkburton.

In the tree of my match there is a Mary BROOK (b.1817 in Golcar, d.1869 in Huddersfield) marrying a Thomas TOPHAM (1817-1894). The marriage took place on 8 August 1841 in Elland St Mary, and the bride's father is shown as James Brook.

Please note that both my Entwistle family and the Topham family of my match are well-documented and I don't need any help with these. This is about as far as I've got - the two BROOK families might tie up, but equally they might not. Any help in either proving or disproving a link would be most appreciated. (I should add that Brook appears to have been a very common surname in this corner of West Yorkshire!)
JaneyH

Re: Do these Yorkshire Brooks join up?

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:45 pm

Janey,
If one thinks logically, for there to be a DNA match between the two trees, the actual test takers must share a common ancestor, i.e parent, grandparent ggparent etc. so don’t get sidetracked trying to match cousins. Just keep taking both trees back until you find that elusive ancestor. With brothers marrying sisters, it could be on either branch, not just the Brooks. For example, it could just as easily be that the Topham is descended from an Entwistle somewhere!

Try not to focus on the Brooks, because as you say, they are common, and it might just be a coincidence you both have them in your tree!

Do you have any clue to how close the common ancestor may be? If the match is at estimated at 4th-6th cousins, you will both need to go back to at least your 4’GGParents and possibly another 2 or 3 generations further back.

FWIW, I have a very, very strong match with someone, but no matter how hard we look, we cannot find the elusive common ancestor. It could just be that one our ancestors had a penchant for sowing his wild oats somewhere, so we may never find out.
Mick Loney

Postby JaneyH » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks for the very sensible advice, Mick. I find the DNA side of family history both fascinating and frustrating in equal measure. (No, on balance I think it's more frustrating :lol: )

I have three matches to the Topham tree: one at 3-4 cousin level with 97cM, one at 4-6 cousin level with 38cM and another at 4-6 cousin level with 36cM. They're all closely related to each other and have roots in Huddersfield although living in Texas & Florida. The last of this three is the active researcher, although being in the US he's obviously less familiar with UK sources, hence me trying to pick this one up.

The other issue I need to bear in mind is that my great-grandfather (born, lived and died in Huddersfield) was illegitimate, so any DNA match with links to Huddersfield could potentially be descended from Thomas Henry Dyson's mystery father. Incidentally, Dyson is also a very common name in Huddersfield!
JaneyH

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:03 pm

Frustrating is the word I’d use too. Some people seem to think that having a DNA test is sufficient to find all their ancestors, without the need for basic research first and so produce a Gedcom for others to look at.

Have you uploaded your data to Gedmatch.com? When you get a match on there, you get better feedback of where you actually match with someone. i.e down to the chromosome level!

I have had an Ancestry test, and found their DNA match feedback sadly lacking in detail, and with few Gedcoms to compare with, as good as useless, so I uploaded to Gedmatch as well. Sadly, although you do get better details as I said, most of their contributors haven’t bothered to supply a Gedcom either :(
Mick Loney

Return to General research queries