Moderator Control Panel ]

Finding 2x burials in London - brickwall

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Finding 2x burials in London - brickwall

Postby leohickman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:41 pm

Hello,

Is anyone able to help me, please?

I'm trying to find where my 2x great-grandparents were buried. Both of their funerals were held at the Brompton Oratory (Catholic) in Kensington, but despite asking the church itself and searching DeceasedOnline, FMP and Ancestry, I can't where they were buried.

Here are their details:

1) Louisa Edith WARD (nee Simeon) - b. 1843 - died 10 July 1895. (I've seen a suggestion she might have been buried in "Mortlake".)

2) Richard WARD - b. 1847 - died 4 March 1925.

Any tips/advice for where to try next?

Many thanks in advance.

Best, Leo
leohickman

Re: Finding 2x burials in London - brickwall

Postby leohickman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:45 pm

I forgot to add:

I have already contacted the London Borough of Kensington & ChelseaI and they have searched their records and cannot find any plots for my family members resting in their grounds at Gunnersbury or Hanwell Cemetery.

I have also emailed the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham to ask if they have any records for Mortlake Cemetery, but have received no response yet.
leohickman

Postby MayHam » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:43 am

Not sure if this is helpful, but the (Anglican) Diocese Archives had a record of burial that my local church didn't have. Not sure who your Diocese Archives would be but imagine they have a website.
MayHam

Postby leohickman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:56 am

Mystery solved!

Through a slow process of elimination, I've now worked out they are both buried at St Mary Magdalen church in Mortlake. The church has confirmed this to me with their own records.

It seems the burials at this church have not yet made their way onto the main genealogical websites yet.
leohickman

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:31 am

Leo,
The parish registers for Mortlake (1599-1963) have been filmed by LDS, and are on microfiche. According to LDS catalogue, the originals were at Surrey Record Office, Kingston and the Surrey History Centre, Woking. I’m not sure if you’re local to either, but it may be worth a visit!
Mick Loney

Return to General research queries