Moderator Control Panel ]

Deciphering 1939 register

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Deciphering 1939 register

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:32 am

This is from a glossary of a thesis on WW2. (NID - Naval Intelligence Department)

"NID/DSD9: enemy (and neutral) W/T communication systems and the
interpretation of such traffic. "

So the DSD9 in that thesis was indeed involved with telegraphy. But would it be a name on view that clearly in 1939? Where's George Smiley when you need him?

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jethro Tull » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks for that too Adrian, where did you find the info on that thesis please? I'm happy to think that my chappy was working for the Admiralty as some sort of wireless operator etc, just to now finalise the detail of the department, any links or info welcomed. George Smiley would surely be able to help on this one. I don't think the details being displayed would have been for the public to lay their hands on, the register was not intended for general release from my understanding, having said that though it may have presented security risks in the wrong hands.

Dan.
Jethro Tull

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:10 pm

Dan, I would have cited the link as well but since I was on my phone it was all I could manage to copy the text... I just found it again via Google by searching on

DSD9 thesis

(Warning - Google offers you DS9 as well but for once we don't want Star Trek)

The thesis is close to top of that list, is by JM Goodchild, and is "R.V. Jones and the birth of Scientific Intelligence"

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jethro Tull » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Thanks for that Adrian, I've found it! Would have been nice to prove my chap served in Starfleet too! ;) :D
Jethro Tull

Previous

Return to General research queries