Moderator Control Panel ]

Stephen Kemp baptism from Ash, Kent

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Stephen Kemp baptism from Ash, Kent

Postby RozBanks » Wed May 30, 2018 12:11 pm

I am trying to find the parents of Stephen Kemp born 1754 Ash, St Nicholas, Kent. The only baptism I can find using FMP Canterbury baptism Archives is Stephen Kemp born 1754 to Stephen Kemp and Elizabeth Russell in Ash. On Ancestry though, several trees have his parents as Stephen Kemp and Margaret Read 1754, but I can find no such baptism. The FMP website is definitely the best source for East Kent baptism as they have all the transcripts and images for the Canterbury Archives which covers East Kent. I would appreciate some help as I am getting very confused
RozBanks

Re: Stephen Kemp baptism from Ash, Kent

Postby MarkDenby » Wed May 30, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi Roz,

I'm very wary of public trees on Ancestry, people just tend to see the suggestions that Ancestry makes for them and accept them without checking.

I have an example of lots of public trees incorrectly listing my 4 x Great grandfather simply because the birth location and year and death year are the same. But if you look, they had differently named wives and children and died and were buried in different places.

On ancestry I could find the Stephen Kemp and Margaret Read 1754 marriage.

On Familysearch could find a marriage between Stephen Kemp and Elizabeth Russell 16 Oct 1784 Wingham, Kent, England (source England Marriages, 1538–1973)

I could not find a Kemp / Russell marriage on ancestry which more than likely explains why the ancestry public trees are linked to the Kemp / Read marriage.

But, I couldn't find a matching Kemp / Russell baptism on FamilySearch either.

Here's a link to a scan of the original baptism entry

https://1drv.ms/u/s!At56Nuibi6oP0W0cIi4RFTKVbu0c

Have a look at the 1754 entry Seems to say Steph son of Steph and then a ditto?
Looking at the line above it says Steph and then Marg Read

does the ditto on the 1754 infer that its the same mother as the 1753 entry?

Not sure it helps your situation :(

Thanks Mark
MarkDenby

Re: Stephen Kemp baptism from Ash, Kent

Postby Mick Loney » Wed May 30, 2018 4:44 pm

Mark, as Roz says, never, never, take anything in someone’s on-line tree as fact, without checking the sources for yourself, and then only if you agree!
Only today I found a christening in 1754 for someone with parents Stephen and Margaret Cliffin. Ancestry then suggested an 1861 census could be a match, simply because head of household and his wife were Stephen and Margaret Cliffin, the fact they were only 50 at the time didn’t seem inconsistent to Ancestry - go figure :D
Mick Loney

Return to General research queries