Moderator Control Panel ]

Brickwall - Denby

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Brickwall - Denby

Postby MarkDenby » Tue May 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi I wonder if anybody could give me any pointers regarding the father of;

John Denby born Bingley, West Yorkshire circa 1781 (source 51,61 census)
died & buried Fewston, near Otley ,West Yorkshire Jun 1864

He's on the 41,51,61 census living in the Fewston area of Otley and on the 61 census he's 80 years old living at Hardisty Hill in the same area.

On the burial record in 1864 he's 83 and his abode was Hardisty Hill.

So that all matches up nicely, however I've seen a few trees that suggest his father is a Jonas Denby and that John was born on the 12 June 1782.

I've found the gravestone in Bingley Parish Church and dates do not add up.

In memory of Jonas Denby of Harden who died May 26th 1808 Aged 61. Also of Hannah widow of the above named Jonas Denby who died Feb 17th 1825 Aged 68 years. Also of William Denby son of the above named Jonas and Hannah who died the 27th of January 1832 aged 31 years. Also John Atkinson Denby son of John and Martha Denby of Harden who died Jan 25th 1863 aged 23 years.

The following bit relates to John Denby

Also of the above named John Denby who died Jan 18th 1864. Also of Martha wife of the above named John Denby who died Sep 18th 1870 in the 73rd year of her age.

Now the Fewston John Denby was buried in Aug 1864 and didn't have a wife named Martha, on the bingley parish register the John on the head stone is 81.

I believe the Bingley John Denby is not the same John Denby who is buried at Fewston. Although some trees list them as the same as they have roughly the same birth and death dates.

So, if Jonas isn't Fewstons John father, how can I find him?

I cannot find any John Denby down as being born around 1780 other than the one on the headstone.

Stuck at a complete brick wall with this one!

Many Thanks, Mark
MarkDenby

Re: Brickwall - Denby

Postby Mick Loney » Tue May 29, 2018 4:33 pm

If you are correct in your assumptions, which I have no reason to doubt, both Denby’s were around for the 1841, 1851 & 1861 censuses. If you can find both in any year (one in Bingly and yours in Fewston) this will confirm your doubts. Sadly Martha died before 1841, so she’s not going to help.
Mick Loney

Postby MarkDenby » Wed May 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks, Mick

I'm pretty convinced that the John Denby I'm interested was born in Bingley, West Yorkshire circa 1781, but that age is taken from the 41,51,61 census and died and is buried in Fewston in 1864

I cannot find any trace of his birth in the Bingley parish registers or the non conformists registry,

Does anybody have any alternative avenues I could look down?

Was it a requirement that children around 1780 were baptised, is he likely never had been recorded in the parish registers?

Thanks, Mark
MarkDenby

Postby Mick Loney » Wed May 30, 2018 4:13 pm

Mark,
There could be many, many reasons you can’t find a Christening, so don’t get disheartened.
Only today I found a private Christening for someone aged 39! He died shortly after, so this was possibly the reason.
Certainly don’t restrict yourself to his approximate birth year, I’ve seen some families doing a job lot of Christenings when a new baby arrived, with its older sibling ranging from 2 to 11, so widen your search to +/- 10 years at least.

The only way to really prove there were two individuals is to find them both in the same census. Failing that, you could try looking for the marriage to the mysterious Martha, that may give you extra clues to look for.
Mick Loney

Postby sdup26 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:02 pm

Overview: A John Denby was born 12/6/1782 and baptised 14/7/1782, father, Jonas Denby of Harden (about 2 miles SW of Bingley), a weaver.
In 1841, there's a John Denby (and wife Martha) living in Long Lane, BIngley, and he's a woolcomber. Also in 1841, at Fewston (registration district Otley) there's a John Denby, farmer, with wife Ann, and a daughter who married Joseph Teal.
In 1851, the Fewston John is still a farmer, living with wife Ann and grandson John Teal. The John born Harden, Bingley, is now a hand loom weaver living in Harden, Bingley, while wife Martha is a schoolmistress.
In 1861, in Bank St, Bingley, John Denby born Harden, lives with wife Martha in Bingley, and the other John Denby is living with his Teal relatives in Hardisty Hill, Fewston. It seems that John, son of Jonas, is the John who married Martha and lived in Bingley, while the other John was a farmer, married to Ann.
You've got the 1864 burial record for a John Denby d1864, but what about the death certificate? It could give vital clues like deceased's occupation, and informant may well be a family member. But note that two men named John Denby died in 1864; one aged about 81 in the Keighley (covers Bingley) district, and one aged about 83 in the Wharfedale (Otley) district.
sdup26

Postby sdup26 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:00 am

In fact, there are 3 John Denby deaths in 1864, but one was a man of 32. The death of the 81 year-old John was registered in the March quarter 1864, Keighley 9a 134. The 83 year-old was registered in Sept 1864 in Wharfedale 9a 100.
There's a Will for a John Denby, late of Harden in the Parish of Bingley, handloom weaver, deceased 18th January 1864 at Harden. The Will doesn't give his age, but it seems likely he's the 81 year-old whose death was registered in March 1864.
sdup26

Postby MarkDenby » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:47 am

Thanks for the help everybody.

I think a lot of people on ancestry have mistakenly linked the Bingley John Denby and the Fewston one together, due to the matching year of birth, place of birth and year of death.

I'm going to order the death certificate for Fewston John Denby and see if there's any further information on there.

Thanks, I've been looking for Fewston Johns father for a number of years now and just don't seem able to break the wall down on this one!
MarkDenby

Postby MarkDenby » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:31 pm

I received the death certificate for Fewston based John Denby, unfortunately it doesn't shed any new light on to his origins. The person on the cert registering his death is his son in law, Joseph Teal, who he was boarding with during his old age.

back to the digging!

Thanks, Mark
MarkDenby

Return to General research queries