Moderator Control Panel ]

Michael Halloran - brick wall

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Michael Halloran - brick wall

Postby RobOH » Sun May 27, 2018 2:25 pm

Hello - I’m returning with another query about the Halloran family from Cork (sorry!).

MayHam very kindly identified a parish birth record of an Ellen Halloran in Oct 1814 in Cobh, Cork. The parents are Michael Halloran and Ellen Mara - and I’m now convinced that they are my x4 great grandparents.

The problem is I can’t find any definite record of their respective births or marriage or the baptism of my x3 great grandfather David Halloran in c.1808. I’ve drawn a complete blank.

I appreciate Irish parish registries are tricky to navigate so any hints, tips or thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Rob
RobOH

Re: Michael Halloran - brick wall

Postby shanew147 » Sun May 27, 2018 3:38 pm

as mentioned in the previous thread, Baptism records for the parish go back to 1812 and marriage from 1815, not far enough for a baptism record of your David, or a marriage for Michael & Ellen.

The Catholic parish records for Queenstown/Cobh parish go back earlier than many other parishes, the average starting date for parishes in rural areas is about 1830.
shanew147

Postby shanew147 » Sun May 27, 2018 4:36 pm

Dr Jim Ryan has posted notes on his website on the history of Catholic Records which might be of interest - see Catholic Church Records: Lecture Notes

Three of the four nearby parishes have quite early records available but none go back any earlier than the Cobh records - Carrigtohill 1817, Middleton 1819, Aghada 1815 for baptisms, 1838 for marriages. Glounthane parish to the north west only has records available from 1864.

The Tithe records for this area area are dated 1824 so a little after the baptism of Ellen - the Catholic parish of Queenston/Cobh covered two civil parishes Clonmel & Templerobin, the records for Clonmel parish include an M. Halleran at Ringacoltig townland (*) with just over 5 acres of land eligible for Tithe payments. Ringacoltig is located to the west of the town of Cobh. Only certain types of eligible agricultural land was eligible for Tithe payments, so the records do not include all properties. .Unfortunately it's unlikely that there will be any earlier records available for your Halloran family, unless Michael or his father might have been mentioned in the registry of deeds.. probably a bit of a long shot for a small Catholic farmer.

* Clonmel civil parish, Co. Cork is incorrectly listed under Co. Tipperary on the National Archives website.
Last edited by shanew147 on Sun May 27, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanew147

Postby RobOH » Sun May 27, 2018 8:34 pm

That’s very helpful, many thanks for that response! I hadn’t appreciated the starting dates of the parish. And I hadn’t thought of tithe records. So, thanks again.

Best wishes,
Rob
RobOH

Postby shanew147 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:50 pm

here's a link to that M. Halleran Tithe record entry (county should read Cork), and the record for Ringacoltig townland on the Placename database, with the location marked on the OSI map.

At the time of Griffith's Primary Valuation, 1852 for this area, there is a John Hallaran listed in Ringacoltig .. possibly a brother to your David ?
He is listed with just a small house with no land, so probably a labourer.
shanew147

Postby MayHam » Mon May 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi, again.
David Mara being a witness to David Halloran's children in 1837-38 might be a clue.

Don't know if the following is your Ellen Mara or not?
Area - CORK & ROSS (RC) , Parish/Church/Congregation - CORK - SOUTH PARISH
Baptism of ELLEN MEARA of N/R on 1 May 1791
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie ... t%3DSearch

Her parents were married.
Marriage of DAVID MEARA of N/R and ELLEN FOLEY of N/R on 23 January 1790
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

Her siblings were:
Baptism of JOANA MARA of N/R on 7 October 1792
Baptism of ELIZBTH MARA of N/R on N/R May 1795
Baptism of JAMS MARA of ABBEY ST on 22 August 1802

Her mother may have remarried but, if so, I'm not sure who witness, David Mara, was.
Marriage of DENIS RIORDAN of COGHLAN'S LANE and ELLEN MEARA of KEEFFE STREET on 5 May 1805
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie ... t%3DSearch

Sorry to confuse matters.
MayHam

Postby RobOH » Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 pm

MayHam thank you so much! I have been following your previous leads on David Mara but have found myself going around in circles. I’m also convinced the Maras are key to my family story.

This gives me much more to work on, and could well match. There is an Anastasia Foley as witness at Ellen Halloran’s baptism - so Foley is a further name connection.

Many thanks again,

Rob
RobOH

Postby MayHam » Wed May 30, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi, Rob. Good eye.

Found the following for an Anastatia Foley:
Baptism of ANSTY FOLEY of ABBEY STREET on 30 April 1803, d/o JOHN FOLEY & MARGT SWYNY
Sponsors: JOHN CAHILL & ELLEN FITZPATRICK
Siblings: TIM FOLEY of ABBY STREET on 14 November 1790 & MARY FOLEY of N/R on 19 August 1795
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords

The following may also be of interest:
Baptism of MARY HALIRAN of ABBY STREET on 28 April 1789, d/o DANLL HALIRAN & JULIAN SWEENY
Sponsors: JOHN FOLEY & ELLENOR RIORDAN
Sibling: JULIAN HOLORAN of N/R on 11 November 1792 (d/o Judy Swiny)

Not sure if the following may be your ancestor's first marriage?
Marriage of MICHAEL HOLORAN of N/R and MARGT TOBIN of N/R on 3 May 1790
Witnesses: ARTHUR & CATHE O NEAL
MayHam

Postby RobOH » Wed May 30, 2018 8:29 pm

Thank you so much! Remarkable what you’ve found, I’m really grateful. I take my hat off to your geneaology skills!

I’m going to gather together all of the detail and plot out the names. That gives me much detail to work with on the Maras, Foleys and Hallorans.

I’m hopeful Michael Haloran/Margaret Tobin are my ancestors!

Many thanks again.

Rob
RobOH

Return to General research queries