Moderator Control Panel ]

Husbands of Esther Daniels

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Husbands of Esther Daniels

Postby SDV » Sat May 26, 2018 2:54 pm

I am trying to find out some more about the two husbands of Esther Daniels (1818-1888).

Esther was born in Southgate in 1818, the daughter of William Daniels and Rebecca Hobbs.

She married John James DEARLOVE in 1842 at All Saints, Edmonton. Both were of full age. John was a labourer living in Edmonton. His father according to the register was also named John James DEARLOVE and was a shoe-maker. Apparently - if this is indeed him - he died in Hackney in 1860 [Q2 1860 Hackney 1b 219]. I have applied for the record.

Esther then married William DAY in 1863 in West Hackney. William was a widower and a labourer. His father also named William DAY was deceased and had been a bricklayer.

William's previous marriage had been to Lydia CORKETT, who he had married in 1843. She had died young in 1846.

Things are slightly complicated by the census returns. In 1851 when she was still married to John James Dearlove, Esther was a visitor with her children to White Hart Place, Tottenham, the home of the widowed William DAY and his children. I have no idea where John James Dearlove was at the time of this census. In the 1861 census, before their marriage, both Esther Dearlove and William Day and their respective children were all living at White Hart Yard, Tottenham.

Problems revolve around the location and eventual death of John James Dearlove. Where was he in 1851 and when did he die. Hopefully the 1860 death certificate will spill some light on these problems. The relationship of Esther and William prior to their marriage is also worthy of some research. Finally, I have no idea of where John James Dearlove was born or baptised, as I can't find him on any census.

As always, any help gratefully received.
SDV

Re: Husbands of Esther Daniels

Postby beacon » Sat May 26, 2018 4:42 pm

A John Dearlove was tried at the Old Bailey in 1844 for horse stealing and sentenced to ten years transportation. If this is Esther’s first husband it explains why you cannot find him in 1851.

Search Proceedings of the Old Bailey online.
beacon

Postby SDV » Sun May 27, 2018 10:32 am

I have just read the Old Bailey report. It is a shame that there isn't more detail, other than date, verdict and sentence.

I seem to remember from looking at another relative that there is another Australian site which has more detail about the convicts once they arrive in Tasmania.

There is, of course, no guarantee that this is the correct John Dearlove - it seems quite a popular name at the Old Bailey proceedings. The death certificate I have ordered should help clarify the possibilities.
SDV

Postby SDV » Sun May 27, 2018 10:57 am

I think I have now found John DEARLOVE on the 1841 census, i.e. the year before his marriage to Esther. He is living at Bury Street, Edmonton, with his parents John and Harriet [HO107 652 8 9 10]. His father is a shoemaker, which aligns with the information on the wedding register.

If this is correct then his mother Harriet dies in Edmonton in 1848 [Q2 1848 Edmonton 3 118] and his father John in Edmonton in 1867 [Q2 1867 Edmonton 3a 103]. The ages seem to be correct.

PS I think I have now also found his baptism. He was baptised on 12 Jan 1823 at Old St Pancras. His father was John, a shoemaker, and his mother was Harriet, which all fits very nicely. His DOB is stated as 04 May 1820. Furthermore, he was baptised John James Dearlove, which is exactly the name he uses on his marriage to Esther.

I now believe that I have found out as much as I can about his life prior to his marriage. The mystery lies in what happened to him after his marriage. If the baptism record is correct, he would have been 24 in 1844, which corresponds to the 23 stated on the Old Bailey record.
SDV

Postby ianbee » Sun May 27, 2018 12:57 pm

Millbank Prison Register says John Dearlove was -
Married, 1 child
Laborer
Before Acquited, Connexions poor
Read + Write - Imperfectly

John James Dearlove did quite a nice signature on the marriage though!
ianbee

Postby beacon » Sun May 27, 2018 12:58 pm

On the Old Bailey online page concerning John Dearlove there is a section “Related Material, Digital Panopticon, John Dearlove.” If you click/tap his name it takes you to another website with links to information about his time in Tasmania, including a physical description of John, his conduct and an application to get married.
beacon

Postby ianbee » Sun May 27, 2018 1:15 pm

ianbee

Postby meekhcs » Sun May 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Have had a look on https://www.linc.tas.gov.au/convict-por ... victs.aspx which I think is the website you were referring to. No mention of Parents etc that I could see but the system was running very slowly on my laptop BUT it did give his place of residence in the UK as Edmonton,there is a personal description of him and lots of info on his life as a convict in Tasmania. He was referred to as John Dearlove on the website
meekhcs

Postby SDV » Sun May 27, 2018 5:51 pm

How do I go about finding a death for John Dearlove? I assume that he died in Australia.
SDV

Postby elsabels » Sun May 27, 2018 7:22 pm

Is this the page you were looking for ?

trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

I agree with your 1841 census find!
elsabels

Return to General research queries