Moderator Control Panel ]

Is his medal the Ashanti medal?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Is his medal the Ashanti medal?

Postby Jethro Tull » Sun May 20, 2018 5:54 pm

I have found the 2nd battalion rolls. I've attached the image that shows the date of joining and discharge for Charles Edward Smart. One thing that I'm not too sure of to confirm this is the chap is the medal bars. The medal rolls on ancestry show 2 bars issued, (Orange Free State and Transvaal). The chap in the photo only has one bar. I'm not 100% but think all bars and medals were sanctioned at the same time so would assume all sent out together. It may be he only received one bar and the other was missed or lost. If not this may indicate the medal rolls are not for the guy in the pic.

Hope that makes sense.

Dan.
Attachments
15c41c7d179ead06c55818c76d4ae007.JPG
15c41c7d179ead06c55818c76d4ae007.JPG (404.1 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
Jethro Tull

Postby Whiteblade » Sun May 20, 2018 6:56 pm

I'm pretty sure this can't be our man as the Kitchener's Fighting Scouts were recruited from locals in the Transvaal. Also. Charles was not there in 1901, he was in hospital in Sheffield on census night. A family myth has it that he lost a foot. This seems unlikely as he is listed in the census as a coal miner and the photo of him as a soldier shows him with two feet. Maybe he lost it whilst working as a miner? It all gets a bit tenuous.
Whiteblade

Postby ianbee » Mon May 21, 2018 6:04 pm

Whiteblade wrote:in 1901, he was in hospital in Sheffield on census night. A family myth has it that he lost a foot.

Age 26. Coal Miner. Born Stoke on Trent

There does seem to be a service record for him on findmypast.
Charles Smart
Born 1874, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire
Service number 4002
Attestation date 19 Dec 1892
Attestation age 18 years 7 months
Attestation corps North Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince Of Wales's)

Discharged as medically unfit 5.10.00, intended place of residence was an address in Sheffield.
In Correspondence &c. after Discharge -
Artificial Leg amputated at the Royal Hospital Sheffield
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Mon May 21, 2018 7:34 pm

ianbee wrote:Artificial Leg amputated at the Royal Hospital Sheffield

Not sure that quite makes sense, put like that.
I can see mention of Cape Town. Let's hope Adrian and/or Dan can take a look...
Ian
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:41 pm

I just took a quick look at 4002, as found by Ian, just in case I could add anything. You may have found all this already but just in case...

His next of kin was his father, Charles, of Longton.

When he joined up in Dec 1892, he was already in the 3rd Battalion of the North Staffs (which was a Militia Battalion at that time). He signed up for 7y with the Colours (i.e. in uniform) then 5 in the reserve (back in civi street but with a liability to be mobilised back into uniform if the balloon goes up). He seems to have served with the Colours until Oct 1900 - over the 7y, but if your time is up while you're overseas, you serve for 8y with the Colours then 4 in the Reserve - which clearly caught him.

There are bits missing from his service papers - I'd expect to see details of where he served outside the UK and when, but that's not visible. The only mention of South Africa is in the correspondence re his wound when a request was sent to Cape Town in 1900 for further information on his injury. (He was in SA by the way). Further down that sheet, as Ian indicates, is reference to the amputation of his leg in mid 1903 - I think. The dates seem to be a bit unclear - it's the usual uncertainty over whether the quoted date is the date of the letter, the date the papers were updated or the date something happened.

Ancestry has his SA Medal Roll, entry in its UK, Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949.
Name: C Smart
Service Date: 1899-1902
Service Place: South Africa
Campaign or Service: South Africa - Second Boer War
Regiment or Unit Name: 2nd Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment

I nearly couldn't find it but remembered in time that Medal Rolls are often initials only for the first name. The image shows one clasp only "Cape Colony" and a comment that he was invalided out.

Wikipedia has something on the 2nd Bn in the Boer War - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Staffordshire_Regiment#Second_Boer_War

So... It looks like he joined the Regulars of the North Staffs in Dec 1892, went out to South Africa in 1899 (see Wikipedia), got wounded somehow out there and was invalided out in Oct 1900. About mid-1903, he has his leg amputated and the fact that this is mentioned in his Army correspondence suggests to me (but does not prove) that this is a consequence of his Army career - else why mention it?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jethro Tull » Mon May 21, 2018 7:49 pm

Well Done Ian and Adrian, I've not got FMP so to get that info is great. I've found the medal roll as Adrian mentions and found only the one clasp, Cape Colony and the Invalided. The Q.S.A medal was authorised in April of 1901 so the photo showing our chap with a one clasp medal and both feet/legs post dates that but pre dates the 1903 operation.

Dan
Jethro Tull

Postby Jethro Tull » Mon May 21, 2018 8:04 pm

Just some extra detail to flesh out the story from various sources, I cannot claim to remember all of this from memory!

The 2nd Battalion sailed from Southampton in January of 1900 on board the S.S Aurania, and arrived at the Cape about 3rd February. Along with the 2nd Cheshire Regiment, 2nd South Wales Borderers, and 1st East Lancashire Regiment, they formed the 15th Brigade under Major General Wavell, and part of the VIIth Division under Lieutenant General Tucker. After the occupation of Johannesburg the battalion was stationed in the neighbourhood of that town, and frequently had hard marches and some fighting, particularly towards the end of August, in the first half of September 1900, and again towards the close of the campaign.

Cheers

Dan
Jethro Tull

Postby Whiteblade » Fri May 25, 2018 8:32 am

Wow, that's great work gentlemen! It all fits into place now. I will write all this up in my file and present it to the rest of the family who will be fascinated.

Also, I can now research where he was in the war. One of my other great grandfathers was at Spion Kop, so it would be wonderful if Charles was there too. Coincidentally I also fought at Spion Kop in my youth - as a football supporter! (I didn't really fight, but I certainly stood there, every other Saturday).

Thanks again

Stephen (Whiteblade)
Whiteblade

Previous

Return to Military help