Moderator Control Panel ]

Pre 1837 birth on GRO British Regimental index

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Pre 1837 birth on GRO British Regimental index

Postby JMcK » Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 am

I have some births that are pre 1837 in the GRO Regimental Birth Indices (1761 To 1924)
Archive reference REG1
Record set British Armed Forces And Overseas Births And Baptisms

The entries have volume and line numbers. Some take place in England, some in Ireland and even one in New Brunswick. I understand that they were actually generated when a regiment moved from place to place, so there are sometimes more than one entry for the same child

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record? ... 002663/115

According to National Archives, and even the GRO's own site, I should be able to order something from the GRO. Does anyone have experience of this actually working? And what will be on it? I can't help being suspicious that the pre 1837 nature of it is going to be any issue.

Thanks
Jo
JMcK

Re: Pre 1837 birth on GRO British Regimental index

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:54 am

I can't help with any experience of ordering such certificates and would be interested in the answers.

But as for repeated references, I suspect (but do not know for certain) that at least some of the repeats are due to indexing births under multiple regiments when amalgamations were involved. For instance, on that page, Wilfred Rolt is indexed under both the 86th and 83rd Regiments. Those 2 amalgamated in 1881 - way before his birth, but the Army was slow to discard the numeric designations. He's also indexed under RIF which may be an error (somewhere) as I interpret that as Royal Iniskilling Fusiliers, whereas the 83rd and 86th actually formed the Royal Irish Rifles. Presumably the volume and page are correct??? Just something to bear in mind when trying to interpret stuff.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ciderdrinker » Tue May 15, 2018 10:50 am

Hello
I have ordered one of these for a Regiment in Ireland before 1837.It was sometime ago but it provided the names of the child,date of birth with place and name of child and regiment of father and parents name.The only thing which was a disappointment was that there was no mother's maiden name.
It was sometime ago so it was on paper.Not sure if they do it electronically.
If you can find the baptism it gives you much the same things but for a fraction of the cost otherwise go for the Births.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby MaureenE » Tue May 15, 2018 1:49 pm

The GRO website says

Regimental Birth Indexes – may show several index references for the same person. As a soldier moved from one regiment to another, he had to register himself and his family each time for pay purposes. If you find more than one index reference for same person, provide all references and we will produce the entry with the most information. There is no index for Regimental Marriages or Deaths. However, for Regimental Marriages, if a regiment and a year can be supplied, a search can be undertaken. If Royal Artillery, then a battalion or battery will be needed.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certi ... o_know.asp (scroll down about 2/3 of the way)

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby JMcK » Wed May 16, 2018 5:00 am

Thank you all.

I'll spend a few more days looking for the baptism - Sarah ROLTON in Templemore, Londonderry, Northern Ireland 1833? Parents Thomas and Charlotte ROLTON - before going the GRO route.
Or perhaps she was baptised at Chatham, the next child Elizabeth was on 9th October 1836

(Sarah herself said, when applying for a pension, that she was born 18 Aug 1834 at Chatham, so perhaps it was 18 Aug 1833 and they went to Chatham almost immediately)
JMcK

Postby MayHam » Mon May 21, 2018 10:41 pm

There is a family tree on Ancestry that cites sources for this family.
It appears the first child was born in 1827 in London according to your link.
It cites an 1826 marriage for a Thomas Rolton and Charlotte Ellis in Carisbrooke, Hampshire.
The original document is available on Familysearch but only at an LDS center or affiliate library.
Hopefully, it would cite his occupation.
MayHam

Postby JMcK » Tue May 22, 2018 1:23 am

Hi Mayham, yes I have seen that tree and am busy working my way through the proofs.
Hampered somewhat by the need to get to an LDS library, but will get there!

I’ve only recently been able to link into it via Sarah who has led me astray for a long time by apparently arriving in NZ on her own in 1855, inconveniently marrying before NZ Regs required parents names, and by saying in her pension application that she was born 18 August 1834 in Chatham. Somewhat different to 1833 Ireland, but understandable now I see the rest of the family. I’ve ordered the GRO entry. Fingers crossed it is useful.
JMcK

Postby MayHam » Tue May 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Sorry for the miscommunication, by affiliate library I don't know if that might mean your local library? If they are registered, you might be able to gain access. Best wishes for good success.
MayHam

Return to General research queries