Moderator Control Panel ]

Richard PROCTOR

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Richard PROCTOR

Postby SDV » Fri May 25, 2018 11:31 am

First, whilst I digest the two later posts, I have some news about the deaths of Richard and Mary Ann.

The 1861 death of Richard Procter is correct. He died 12 May 1861 at 35 Foley Street, the same address as the 1861 census, so definitely our man. The informant was M A Procter of the same address, presumably the Mary Ann who was living with him as his wife in the earlier census. So thanks Mo.

The death of the Mary Ann Procter who died in Marylebone in 1879 is more complicated.She died 16 November 1879 at 5 Henry Street, aged 59, of TB. She was the wife of HENRY PROCTER, a carpenter. The informant was Henry Procter of the same address. Presumably he knew his own name, so not Edward.

I am now going to turn my attention to the later posts.
SDV

Postby woodchal » Fri May 25, 2018 2:01 pm

SDV wrote:The death of the Mary Ann Procter who died in Marylebone in 1879 is more complicated.She died 16 November 1879 at 5 Henry Street, aged 59, of TB. She was the wife of HENRY PROCTER, a carpenter. The informant was Henry Procter of the same address. Presumably he knew his own name, so not Edward.

I haven't been following this in detail so excuse me if this is rubbish.

The informant does not have to be husband - could have been brother-in-law or son (or even nephew). However you may know that Henry was husband on her death by other means - if so it is also not unknown for a widow spouse to marry the sibling of the deceased.
woodchal

Postby ianbee » Fri May 25, 2018 4:21 pm

Yes, well done Mo.
Wondering now why I said the carpenter was called Edward, even though I posted a link to Henry and his wife!
ianbee

Postby MoVidger » Fri May 25, 2018 5:41 pm

For what it's worth, I have several family death certs where informants were in-laws or neighbours. One informant (a brother-in-law) led me to confirm my 3 x great-grandmother's maiden name! So that death certificate turned out to be a godsend. I would never have known her name without it, as there doesn't appear to be a marriage record for her and my 3 x great-grandfather. :(
MoVidger

Previous

Return to General research queries