Moderator Control Panel ]

Birth records after 2005 ?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Birth records after 2005 ?

Postby Simon45 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi
Is it possible to find birth records after 2005 as Ancestry and Find My Past seem to stop at 2005

Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Simon45

Re: Birth records after 2005 ?

Postby peter kent » Sun May 13, 2018 8:55 am

You mean the birth indexes.

There are full sets of indexes on microfiche available at the following repositories:

The Library of Birmingham
Bridgend Local and Family History Centre
City of Westminster Archives Centre
Manchester Central Library
Newcastle City Library
Plymouth Central Library and
The British Library

However you don't need the GRO reference to order a certificate although it will take longer to be delivered.
peter kent

Postby Simon45 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi
Are these birth indexes / records available online ?

I have dates of birth and names but want to know district they were born

Thank you

Simon45

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:54 pm

No - only at the places in question. (Why it's only there is unclear.)
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Simon45 » Sun May 13, 2018 5:41 pm

Ok thank you [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Simon45

Postby junkers » Sun May 13, 2018 9:41 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:No - only at the places in question. (Why it's only there is unclear.)

There is the answer to a Freedom of Information request (https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... sthrough=1), I think the GRO/Government wanted just 7 copies across England and Wales, it is a somewhat backward step I believe.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:15 pm

Oh dear. It was as my memory thought.

Future sales were forbidden since there was no clear, legal basis for providing this information (for sale). That's the gist of it.

Rant warning...

My response to the lack of a clear, legal basis, would be: Yes. And? The law in this country is, as I understand it, written on the basis that anything not forbidden, is allowed. (No doubt ridiculously crude summary). I am sure that there is no clear legal basis for allowing the consumption of coffee in the GRO's offices, but I'm equally sure that it happens. The argument, as it is written, does not therefore, make sense.

There must surely be another aspect that the authors of the response are not telling us about - its absence annoys me. Perhaps the concern was that the GRO were making money from the sales and this isn't allowed - maybe??? Or maybe the feeling was that data confidentiality was being breached by publishing the data so widely. It is a perfectly respectable argument that allowing X to be available after some degree of effort is one thing, but allowing thousands of X to be available at the click of a mouse, is a different matter.

As it is, we have no idea what the real answer is, since they can't be bothered to tell us. Sigh....

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Guy » Mon May 14, 2018 7:09 am

AdrianB38 wrote:Oh dear. It was as my memory thought.

Future sales were forbidden since there was no clear, legal basis for providing this information (for sale). That's the gist of it.

Rant warning...

My response to the lack of a clear, legal basis, would be: Yes. And? The law in this country is, as I understand it, written on the basis that anything not forbidden, is allowed. (No doubt ridiculously crude summary). I am sure that there is no clear legal basis for allowing the consumption of coffee in the GRO's offices, but I'm equally sure that it happens. The argument, as it is written, does not therefore, make sense.

There must surely be another aspect that the authors of the response are not telling us about - its absence annoys me. Perhaps the concern was that the GRO were making money from the sales and this isn't allowed - maybe??? Or maybe the feeling was that data confidentiality was being breached by publishing the data so widely. It is a perfectly respectable argument that allowing X to be available after some degree of effort is one thing, but allowing thousands of X to be available at the click of a mouse, is a different matter.

As it is, we have no idea what the real answer is, since they can't be bothered to tell us. Sigh....

The real answer is bureaucratic censorship, it is a form of power mania which occurs when a petty bureaucratic attempt to prove how powerful they are by setting out rules over and above the requirement of law.
When the requirement for the Superintendent Registrars and the Registrar General to produce indexes of the Birth marriage and Death records they hold was compiled there was no internet and the law was worded appropriately.
This required that indexes of all relevant records held be available to the public at the Superintendent Registrars’ offices and at the GRO (incidentally even Royal Commissions later condemned those indexes for being wanting and inaccurate to the point that the general public required access to the registers themselves).
It was also never envisaged that the GRO would be closed to public access during working hours and as a result the public would not have access to the indexes in the manner described by the legislation.

It could be argued that by allowing the indexes to be viewed at the 7 host libraries the HM Passport Office in its previous identity as the Identity and Passport Service conceded that the GRO could not fulfil its legal duty to allow the public to access the indexes at the GRO.
By doing so is stepped outside the precise legal framework of the law and cannot therefore use the excuse the “no clear legal basis for providing this information” to prevent the modern indexes appearing online.
This view is reinforced by the statement that it is just a temporary measure until the GRO is able to host the digital images on its own website viz “These arrangements are expected to continue until such time as we are able to make the indexes available online via GRO’s digitisation project.”

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:54 am

The GRO's digitisation project ...
I'm not holding my breath.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Mon May 14, 2018 12:19 pm

It we follow the argument for not selling the information after 2005 then the GRO were 'at fault' in selling the information before that, the explanation could be related also to the Data Protection Act which came into operation in 2005. I am glad I have Scottish ancestors and the records are online, in most cases.
junkers

Next

Return to General research queries