Moderator Control Panel ]

Register Office Weddings

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Register Office Weddings

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:52 am

ianbee wrote:... Can read about it here ...
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=t0h ... &q&f=false

Ah - that helps, Ian. I was just trying to find something relevant in the 1856 Marriage Act - and failing. But that report explicitly says that a civil marriage is "in the office of the Superintendent Registrar" (my emphasis). As Peter said, "the [Marriage] Registrar records the particulars of the transaction".

So assuming that the local guys followed GRO rules, then the marriage would indeed be in Thomas Hayden's office. Of course, that then begs the question.... Where was that? I still wonder if Hayden's office might well be Holmes' as well?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Sun May 06, 2018 11:20 am

I have found a Thomas Hayden in the 1871 census profession Clerk to Poor Law Union His address in 1871 was 173 West Street Fareham Hampshire but no mention of him being The Superintendant Registrar Class: RG10; Piece: 1154; Folio: 86; Page: 9; GSU roll: 827792

Fareham to Droxford 8.5 miles

This Thomas Hayden died in Q1 1881 His probate record records him as Clerk to the Guardians of Drossford (Droxford I think!) Poor Law Union.

In 1851 and 1861 he lived in Droxford and in both census records he was recorded as the Clerk to the Guardians etc

At themoment I cannot find him in the Directories
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:45 am

I'm sure that recently I've seen that the existing Clerk to the Guardians was a typical appointee to the position of Superintendent Registrar - to start with, at least.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Sun May 06, 2018 12:11 pm

Eureka!

I have scrolled back through the 1878 Directory from Soberton to Droxford and there he is Thomas Hayden of Fareham is the Clerk to the Board of guardians and Superintendant Registrar.
The attachment shows the registrar info for local areas too.
Attachments
Screenshot-2018-5-6 Ancestry co uk - UK, City and County Directories, 1766 - 1946.png
Screenshot-2018-5-6 Ancestry co uk - UK, City and County Directories, 1766 - 1946.png (850.35 KiB) Viewed 564 times
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Sun May 06, 2018 1:59 pm

So pulling all this together.

Gt Granparents married 7 June 1878 Marriage solemnized "in the Register Office" in the "District of Droxford" inthe County of "Southampton"

Registrar Alexander Day Holmes. In the 1878 for Soberton he was the Postmaster in the village of Soberton and the Registrar of Marriages for the Droxford Union (NB at this time he was not recorded as the Registrar for Marriages of Hambledon Union- see my attachment inprevious post)

Superintendant Registrar Thomas Hayden. In the 1878 Directory for Droxford he is recorded as The Clerk to the Board of Guardians and the Superintendant Registrar for the Droxford union,living in Fareham. In the 1878 Directory for Fareham his address is 173 West Street and he is is recorded as the C and SR for Droxford Union and Clerk toThe Highways Board, so another string to his bow. The Directory also lists the Superintendant registrar and Clerk to Board of Guardians as John M Steadman.

Witnesses to marriage Thomas and Louisa Holloway. In 1881 they lived at The Union Workhouse Droxford. Thomas was a Porter. In 1871 he was single and a Police Officer living in London.

Given Peter and Ian's posts this suggests that The Superintendant Registrars Office was at The Workhouse or The Court House in Droxford. Heaven forbid the former!

Thanks Everyone Sally
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Given the frequent connections between Poor Law Guardians and Superintendent Registrars, I suspect that the former is a distinct possibility - however, the boardroom of the Guardians is likely to have a higher standard of furnishings than that given to inmates! However, I suspect that we'll never know for certain...

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to General research queries