Moderator Control Panel ]

Cornelius Hatfield v Henry Phillips Who was Henry?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Cornelius Hatfield v Henry Phillips Who was Henry?

Postby JMcK » Sat May 05, 2018 2:59 am

On Londonlives.org https://www.londonlives.org/browse.jsp? ... #highlight was this
Middlesex Sessions:
Sessions Papers - Justices' Working Documents
SM | PS
July 1787

The link on Londonlives doesn't go anywhere but 2 yrs ago I visited the LMA and the wonderful people there found the document for me

at the July 9th 1787 Middlesex quarter sessions Cornelius Hatfield was indicted for assault against a Mr Henry Phillips.

which transcribes thus:

..Cornelius Hatfield late of the Parish of Saint John within the County of Middlesex, Gentleman, on the third day of July in the Twenty Seventh year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lord George the third King of Great Britain etc, with force and arms at the Parish aforesaid in the county aforesaid upon Henry Phillips .....did unlawfully make an assault and him the said Henry Phillips then and there did unlawfully beat, wound and ill treat so that his life was despaired of and other wrongs to the said Henry Phillips then and there unlawfully did to the great Damage of the said Henry Phillips and against the peace of our said Lord the King etc.....

The note on the back of the document says this was a True Bill - ie there was a case to answer

We could not find any trace of the resultant case at LMA and Cornelius was certainly in circulation by the end of 1791 as his eldest daughter was born on 2nd August 1792.

What I want to know is - Who was Henry Phillips? Can anyone see a contender? Or, as I will be back in the UK in July have any suggestions as to where I might go to find out more. (the Old Bailey online has nothing and I think I have exhausted what was at the National Archives - which was a lot)

Back ground - Cornelius Hatfield/Hetfield was an American Loyalist. He went to Britain in 1785. I don't believe I need more information regarding Cornelius himself. I have written at length about him and his revolutionary career.

"CORNELIUS HATFIELD, JR., LOYALIST, OF ELIZABETH TOWN AND LONDON, AND SOME OF HIS DESCENDANTS THE GENEALOGICAL MAGAZINE OF NEW JERSEY VOLUME 91 NUMBER 3 WHOLE NO. 310 September 2016

but I would like very much to know who Henry Phillips was. I don't think he was another American.
Addresses I have for Cornelius are
1785/6 53 Norton street, which was near the Marylebone Toll-gate at the top of what is now Great Portland Street
in December 1797 he was staying with his friends Edward and Eleanor Bristow at Charles Streert, Tottenham Court Turnpike.
no 3 St James' Place, Hampstead Road from at least 1814 and through to 1822 which was close to the Tottenham Court Road Turnpike
he died in 1823 and was living with his son at 4 Great George Street, which was just around the corner from 3 St James' place.
So, I would expect Henry Phillips to be from the same area.

Also - as an aside - I have discovered that he seems to have been the man to go to in the area to help write your will. If anyone finds a will which mentions him I should be delighted to know.

Jo
JMcK

Re: Cornelius Hatfield v Henry Phillips Who was Henry?

Postby MayHam » Sun May 06, 2018 5:49 pm

Don't know if the following is any help or not?

Name:
Henry Phillips
Record Type:
Banns (Bann)
Marriage Banns Date:
2 Jun 1776
Marriage Banns Place:
St Marylebone, Westminster, England
Spouse:
Sarah Ward
Register Type:
Parish Register
https://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse. ... cessSource

Name:
Henry Philips
Record Type:
Marriage
Marriage Date:
3 Jun 1776
Marriage Place:
St Marylebone, Westminster, England
Spouse:
Sarah Ward
Register Type:
Parish Register
https://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse. ... ource=1623

Name:
Richard Phillips
Birth Date:
1 Sep 1790
Baptism Date:
30 Oct 1791
Baptism Place:
Ashdon, Essex, England
Baptism Age:
Father:
Henry Phillips
Mother:
Sarah Phillips
FHL Film Number:
https://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse. ... cessSource
MayHam

Re: Cornelius Hatfield v Henry Phillips Who was Henry?

Postby JMcK » Mon May 07, 2018 12:56 am

I really have no idea. I think I’m hoping someone has a story in the family of an ancestor being beaten as described.
I did find a man from New Foundland (which would fit with American Loyalists) And New Hampshire who died in 1813 yet has a will proved in England.
I think I have to accept I will never know, but thought it worth putting out there just incase.
JMcK

Return to General research queries